Next Of Kin

popeye

Hello people.

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but I hope Nellie will put it right.

Today a friend asked me a question I could not answer but I am hoping there might be a legal brain amoungst us.

The question: Apart from marriage, is it possible to change your next of kin?

Cheers, David. aka popeye. :D

As far as I know you can choose your friends, but have no choice whatsoever regarding next of kin. These are blood relatives and I don't see how this can be changed, except of course possibly by adoption, in which case you would create a legal but not blood next of kin. Try telephoning the local citizens advice bureau, and explain the full circumstances, you may get an answer there, they do have legal staff.

Guest Nellie2

Don't know the circumstances... but if a person does not want their closest relative to act as thier next of kin, say because they have fallen out or whatever, then surely you can sign some sort of legal document to that effect!!!

If it was the other way around.... say you wanted your partner to be your next of kin then I don't think you can sign a legal document to that effect unless of course it is a marriage certificate. Ok if you are a hetrosexual couple and want to make that sort of commitment. But if you are a gay couple or just very good friends then you are a bit stuck really.

Andsomes suggestion is a good one. The local CAB

As far as I'm aware , 'next of kin' is simply a term to describe whomesoever one nominates. If I were totally mad, for example, I could instruct my solicitor to recognise Sir T as my next of 'kin' and he would inherit my banjo collection upon my demise. :blink: :D Vice versa, I could inherit his inappropriately tight trousers.