Windows XP network problem

xuesheng

I have a home network on Windows XP with a D-Link DWA-110 router. I have four computers that I'd like to be able to share files: my own #1 desktop, my own #2 desktop, my daughter's desktop, and my netbook.

Yesterday I reformatted the drive of my #2 desktop and reinstalled Windows XP. Now, when I look in Windows Explorer's tree of folders, under 'My Network Places / Entire Network / Microsoft Windows Network' there appears the name of my home network, which is 'Mshome'. Under that appear the names of two computers, the #2 desktop itself and my netbook. From the #2 desktop I can see some files held on the netbook without entering a password.

When I look at the netbook computer itself, the names of the same two computers also appear at the corresponding places in its folder tree. But when operating the netbook, if I try to access the network folder for the #2 desktop, a password is required. In the netbook, another network folder allows me to access files on my daughter's computer, without entering a password.

When I installed Windows on the #2 desktop yesterday, I did not intend to require a password, I do not know what it should be, and I'd like to remove it. I had never required a password previously for the other three computers previously in the network. How can I do that?

On my daughter's desktop, in the corresponding position of the folder tree, there appear folders for my netbook and her own desktop, both of which can be accessed without a password, and also a folder for my #2 desktop, which requires a password.

My #1 desktop formerly appeared in the network folder trees of my daughter's computer and my own netbook, but now it no longer appears in those places. So I would also like to add my #1 desktop to the network.

Any help leading to a solution, or even to better understanding of the problems involved, will be much appreciated.

xuesheng

Found the problem and solved it, by running the Network Setup Wizard, found under the Control Panel / Network and Internet Connections. I discovered that the Windows Firewall was blocking both my desktops. So I disabled it. I now rely on my Trend Micro's 'Personal Firewall' function to replace the Windows Firewall. And I can now access all three of the other computers from any one of the four, without any block. It's easy, once you've figured out how to do it!

Found the problem and solved it, by running the Network Setup Wizard, found under the Control Panel / Network and Internet Connections. I discovered that the Windows Firewall was blocking both my desktops. So I disabled it. I now rely on my Trend Micro's 'Personal Firewall' function to replace the Windows Firewall. And I can now access all three of the other computers from any one of the four, without any block. It's easy, once you've figured out how to do it!

Yes, but that's the hard part. :lol: