Increasing wireless router signal

Ryan Going Pro

I've been using this Linksys router for a while now and didn't have too many problems with it. I would have to reset it ever couple of days to increase the speed, but other than that no problems. Then a couple weeks ago it started making this really high pitch ringing 24/7. Similar to the mosquito ringtone people use to annoy people. You can hear it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrewnzQYrPI

Anyways I bought this Belkin Enhanced Wireless Router (N150) thinking it would be better for the price it was. I don't have a lot of money to spend or else I would get a higher end model. It works well for me, but everyone else in the house has a very slow connection 10Mbs, I get around 25Mbs. Keep in mind the model and router are right next to my iMac.

My question is how can I increase the speed to the others in the house. It seems that the wireless signal isn't that strong.

A) Is there anyway I could use the Linksys router as a wireless hub or something.

B) Can I adjust the settings to make it better some how.

C) Should I return it and get one? (Same price or a little higher I guess)

My sister has an iMac running 10.6.1

I also have an iMac running 10.5.8

My mom has some HP laptop running Windows XP Service Pack 3

My dad is running Ubuntu 9.10 on his Netbook

I've removed the pictures - which were of no practical use. It is of far more benefit to give full details of, or link to the exact models you have - computers and related peripherals.

Although the Belkin is transmitting 802.11n (presumably), the 10MBs speed may be the result of the wireless connectivity of the recipient devices ?

Are they using USB adaptors, or is the wireless onboard ?

Are they 802.11b or 802.11g ?

802.11b has a maximum raw data rate of 11 Mbit/s

802.11g has a maximum raw data rate of 54 Mbit/s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Those presumably relate to the two wireless routers ?

My comments were about the wireless receivers being used in/on the 2 iMacs + netbook - what are they ?

Are they 802.11b 802.11g or 802.11n ? Have you configured them correctly ?

As a parallel example - the fact that a transmitter broadcasts TV programmes at a certain standard e.g. HD doesn't mean that you will be able to watch in HD unless your TV is capable of receiving that standard.

Bear in mind that this is primarily a Windows Forum and I have no experience of iMacs.