Just installed win. xp pro and can't connect to internet

liveinbox

I've just installed windows xp pro and discovered my internet doesn't work.

I already use the internet on my pc--plug in ethernet cable and I'm all go.

I connect my laptop to modem via ethernet and it doesn't recognize it.

History:

I just removed windows xp and ubuntu totally from my laptop (not at same time --xp then installed ubuntu and uninstalled that) and formatted my drive absolutely nothing was on it, then freshly installed windows xp pro sp2 and no internet.

Could someone help me out with this. Thanks.

I followed the instructions for updating the drive I currently have but wasn't successful. the internet still has no connection. I even went back to the lenovo page and put in the exact model I have: ibm r51 1829-w53 and found out the ethernet you posted to download was the same as what I saw online.

I tried to update because I had "1394 Net Adapter" under "Network Adapter". I updated that after I downloaded on the file link you suggested. Not sure what to do now.

Wow - it looks like half of your laptop's devices aren't working ...... because you haven't yet installed their drivers.

Did you get a driver disk with your laptop ?

If not - you can get them from this page :-

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-55029.html

Audio, modem, trackpoint, video

Only if you want the unknown devices to work :)

I repeat my previous question - Did you get a driver disk with your laptop ?

I didn't install anything, didn't know I had to.

With Windows, if you don't install the necessary drivers - devices on the laptop won't work.

Ubuntu is far more forgiving and usually manages to install all the drivers it needs automatically (except it does have problems with wireless)

with regard to ubuntu, I would have stayed with that alone were it not for it's incompatibility with Revit Architecture 2009 which I tried to download and install with something called wine.

I have installed:

bios update

audio driver

modem driver

video driver

so far but the network adapter isn't installing: the website only makes reference to ethernet intell pro 100 lan adapter... which it supports but I have 1394 net adapter--won't work.

I'm missing ethernet controller, network controller and unknown device under other devices. Just these three are remaining from the attached earlier.

would you have any suggestions

Your machine seems to have wireless ?

If so you need to try the XP drivers under

Networking:

Wireless

to get that working - which is presumably the Unknown Device ?

I cannot advise you which of them to choose - it is a process of trial and error

If your network card isn't working yet - try the XP one called Build 135400 under "Networking Ethernet" Intel PRO 10/100/1000 LAN adapter here :-

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...html#networking

Download it, transfer it to the laptop's desktop and run it.

Reboot and hopefully this time it'll find your ethernet card.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...