ipconfig question...

martinarcher

Hello All!

I manage a Windows XP image with a custom shell that configures IP addresses (two local area connections). It parses the output from ipconfig and comares the output to a config file. If the address do not match the config file, it changes them using netsh commands. It has works fine for years, but I recently released a new image and the ipconfig command somehow has reversed the order that the adapters are displayed therefore reversing the way the two IP addresses are mapped to the ports on the machine....

ipconfig used to show the adpaters in "reverse order"....

Local Area Connection 5

Local Area Connection 4

The new image orders them in the opposite order....

Local Area Connection 4

Local Area Connection 5

Any idea why ipconfig would change the order the adapters are displayed?

I compared the following registry settings between the two images and they look OK. Nothing is flipped in the order of the adapters as they are listed in the registry....

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip]

The only thing networking wise that has changed between the images was the removal of NetBios from each of the adapters. I performed the NetBios changes to the older image with no luck. The IP adapters did not switch.

I guess my question is....what determines the order that ipconfig shows the Local Area Connections? Is there a way to control it so it is always displayed in numerical adpter order? (ie Local Area Connection 2,3,4,5....)

Thanks in advance!

Hi Martin, and Welcome.

Unfortunately I do not know the solution to your problem. - Sorry.

Unless anyone here comes up with a suggestion very soon, I would be inclined to go with your plan (A) - Microsoft.

Your final decision at that time was.

I'll head to the networking section. Thanks!

I can well understand your frustration at trying to find the networking section ! :(

They could have been a little more helpful in the respect of a little guidance me thinks. :blink:

You should find what you were first looking for here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web&lang=en&cr=US

You can still sign in there with your Windows Live I.D.

Just in case someone here can come up with a solution for you, I will post your additional information. It may just nudge a brain cell or two into action. ;)

"The machine is used on customer network where customer network IP's are provided to us before we deliver the product. We then release our software with a config file that contains their specified IP address. The shell then configured the NIC cards accordingly using static IP's."

Hope that you get things sorted fairly soon.

John.

Apologies to anyone reading the previous post and wondering "What the Heck is going on here ?" :huh:

I have just realised that my reply was not altogether clear for general consumption.

Martin had previously posted his question on a Microsoft forum. Although he had posted on the wrong forum they basically ran up a bsflag.gif flag on his post, and gave him no guidance at all as to where he could find an answer to his query.

He found his way to us, and posted the same question. I have tried to guide him back to the correct Microsoft forum, - and we await the outcome of the answer that may at some stage in the future be helpful to all of us.

Martin's original question at Microsoft can be found here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winforms/thread/f28502b5-09da-48ce-8059-ef410e43ff4f

Come back and tell us Martin.

John. 006cornishman.gif

Apologies to anyone reading the previous post and wondering "What the Heck is going on here ?" :huh:

I have just realised that my reply was not altogether clear for general consumption.

Martin had previously posted his question on a Microsoft forum. Although he had posted on the wrong forum they basically ran up a bsflag.gif flag on his post, and gave him no guidance at all as to where he could find an answer to his query.

He found his way to us, and posted the same question. I have tried to guide him back to the correct Microsoft forum, - and we await the outcome of the answer that may at some stage in the future be helpful to all of us.

Martin's original question at Microsoft can be found here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winforms/thread/f28502b5-09da-48ce-8059-ef410e43ff4f

Come back and tell us Martin.

John. 006cornishman.gif

John,

Thanks so much for the help. I will give the link you provided a try and hope someone there can shed a bit of light.

I have been messing around with imaging machines and it seems with a fresh out of box image, the NIC card that is listed first is the one that is currently plugged into something on the first boot(I'm just using a hub so the card will get an address assigned instead of ipconfig reporting the card is not connected). It seems that after it assigns that NIC card as the "first" card to be listed in an ipconfig request it always reports the NIC cards in that same order regardless of which port on the machine is plugged into the hub. Weird huh? :blink: