Problem upgrading Linksys Router

greenevening

I am upgrading our Linksys to the WRT610n model, but when I plug it in I am unable to connect to any network. We have a password protected network that seems to be specific to the older router, but not only does that network not show up when I use the newer model router, but I can't connect to any of the other networks. I'm not very computer savvy, so I don't know what the relevant information is, but if you are willing to just ask me what the relevant information is then I can immediately update this post to include your requested information. Thank you, and I am running Windows 7 by the way.

Hello greenevening,

It might be a good thing to describe what you have done in order to achieve a connection, other than just plugging in the bits of wire.

For instance, have you told router, via the computer, what it should connect to?

• 2 months later...

I am upgrading our Linksys to the WRT610n model, but when I plug it in I am unable to connect to any network. We have a password protected network that seems to be specific to the older router, but not only does that network not show up when I use the newer model router, but I can't connect to any of the other networks. I'm not very computer savvy, so I don't know what the relevant information is, but if you are willing to just ask me what the relevant information is then I can immediately update this post to include your requested information. Thank you, and I am running Windows 7 by the way.

I'm suspecting that your encryption is set to the newer type, the WPA2. You forgot that your existing network uses WPA.

Even within the WPA/WPA2, you still have to make sure both are using the same algoright, TKIP/AES.

One last thing that you might want to give it a try is whether your existing network is in B-mode only, while I believe WRT610n doesn't support B-mode network?