Wireless won't connect

Jeanne

I just installed Windows 7; everything went great but now I can't get the wireless to connect to the internet. Wireless worked perfectly until now. I have gone through all the "diagnistics" and fixes but it won't connect. It shows the connection but just says "not connected". I used the same WEP code that is on the router. I unplugged the router and waited, and rebooted the laptop. Both desktops (wired) are working fine. Any ideas? This is my work computer and I must get online!

Hi Jeanne, and welcome.

The first thing that strikes me here is that you have failed to give us the make and model of the Laptop.

What was the previous operating system (Windows XP, Windows 98, Vista) ?

Was it a fresh install or an upgrade install ?

Did you make a backup of all the required drivers for your laptop before you changed the operating system ?

Have you downloaded the correct set of drivers for Windows 7 for your laptop ?

(If not, you may be running on basic generic drivers at the moment, whereas you could well be in need of specific drivers)

Did you actually check that the manufacturer of the laptop supports drivers for Windows 7 before you loaded it.

If the answer to the last three questions is "No", - that could well be the reason your wireless connection is not working.

Come on back with a lot more information for us, we will go on from there and try to help you.

John.

Hi Jeanne, and welcome.

The first thing that strikes me here is that you have failed to give us the make and model of the Laptop.

What was the previous operating system (Windows XP, Windows 98, Vista) ?

Was it a fresh install or an upgrade install ?

Did you make a backup of all the required drivers for your laptop before you changed the operating system ?

Have you downloaded the correct set of drivers for Windows 7 for your laptop ?

(If not, you may be running on basic generic drivers at the moment, whereas you could well be in need of specific drivers)

Did you actually check that the manufacturer of the laptop supports drivers for Windows 7 before you loaded it.

If the answer to the last three questions is "No", - that could well be the reason your wireless connection is not working.

Come on back with a lot more information for us, we will go on from there and try to help you.

John.

I am using a Fujitsu Lifebook A6120

It does support Windows 7

It was running VISTA home premium and I did a fresh install

I just installed a WLAN Windows 7 driver and rebooted, but it still won't connect

I am using an actiontec 424 with verizon fiber (now frontier). It sees the SSID but won't connect. I checked the wep key and it is correct.

Okay. Thanks for the additional information.

A couple more thoughts off of the top of my head at the end of the week.

(And that doesn't come easy once you get past a certain age. :P )

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

I have got a Fujitsu V5535 Esprimo Laptop (Well, two actually but I wont mention that because I am not a boastful person. :) )

On my particular machine (V5535) there is a switch for turning off the Wireless connection. This is a keyboard function, - Fn/F1

As far as I can make out, on your particular lifebook there is a switch. "On the front side, you’ll find the Wi-Fi switch".

Have you got this switch turned to the "on" position ?

Is this switch merely "Hardware", or does it require software and drivers to operate ? - I know for sure that my Fn/F1 switch will not work without the correct drivers installed.

Unplug one of your desktop computers from the router and "Hard wire" your Lifebook straight to the router by means of the ethernet connection. Can you now make a connection to the internet with your Lifebook ?

What I am trying to do is narrow down the field of search.

No point in getting over-technical if it is just a case of turning a switch on, or installing the correct drivers.

I think what I would like to hear, is that you have installed a full set of Windows 7 drivers for this particular machine. (Chipset,Lan,Video,Audio,and all the rest of the crew.) to eliminate driver issues from the equation.

These days computers come with additional functions such as "Quick Keys" "Fingerprint Detection" and a whole lot of other stuff that is just not going to function if you do not hunt down the drivers either direct from the manufacturer or other sources. (H.P Laptops are a complete swine to get going again without the correct drivers.)

I haven't had a lot of time to spare searching around, - but I did find this: http://www.user-guides.co.uk/cddownload/Fujitsu/FujitsuSiemens/Fujitsu-Siemens-Lifebook-A6120-Windows-7-Driver-Recovery-CD-Restore-434575.html Have a bit of a dig around over the weekend Jeanne, and see if you can come up with a solution. If not, - someone will get all technical with you next week.

John.002wavyman.gif

(Anyone upgrading, or re-installing an operating system to their computer, should firstly make a backup of all drivers. Many of these Manufacturer "specific" drivers work across many operating system platforms, but can be an absolute S.O.B to trace and replace. You can do it real cheap with something like: **Double Driver** - Free !)