Fond memories of Old cars Owned

AlanHo

Has anyone got fond or unfond memories of cars they have owned over the years.

This is a list of the cars I can recall me and/or my wife owning (since my motor cycling days when I was but a lad)

1954 Standard 8 (used) (A cheap rust bucket - in winter it would only start if I pointed a parrafin blowtorch down the carburretor whilst cranking the engine)

1963 Hillman Imp (A reliability nightmare - constant warranty claims)

1966 Singer Chamois (nice and nippy mini car - no reliability problems with this poncy Hillman Imp derivative)

1971 Hillman Avenger (boring but reliable - horrid tangerine gold colour I grew to hate)

1980 Talbot Solara (Alpine) (nice car but very "tinny" - very economical for its size)

1982 Austin Princess (Ambassador) (S/Hand) (Big and thirsty - good motorway cruiser - but noisy)

Cars owned in Middle East

1985 Hyundai Sonata (S/Hand) (My first auto - cheap and well equipped - quality not very good though)

1986 Mazda 3 (wife’s) (Fine small car - fast, comfy, economical, totally reliable - she loved it)

1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Estate (S/Hand) (Left in UK for use when back on holiday - Big, fast, thirsty and rather luxurious)

1989 Toyota Cressida (Superb large family car - solid build and very reliable)

1991 Ford Taurus (typical large American gas guzzler - comfy though)

1992 Dodge Intrepid (Big V8 with lots of kit. Stylish but roadholding a bit dicy - more like driving a boat)

1993 Dodge Intrepid (wifes)(As above)

Car Owned in USA

1994 Toyota Camry (nice car - well built, comfy and well equipped. Bullet proof reliability. It was cheaper to buy and sell a year later than hire a car for the duration)

Back to UK

1997 Toyota Carina (I liked this car - totally reliable. You still see them as taxis all over the UK)

1997 Toyota Corolla (wife’s)

1999 Toyota Avensis (Another nice Toyota - comfy & totally reliable. You see them as taxis all over the UK)

2001 Honda Civic (wife’s) (S/Hand)

2001 Audi A6 (S/Hand)(Turbo engine - fast and frugal for its size and performance. Luxury and refinement on wheels)

2003 Audi A3 (A hot auto diesel. A boy racers dream - but too noisy to be classed as comfy)

2005 Audi A4 Avant S/Hand)(An old mans car - luxurious, refined and quiet. But the 2.0 litre petrol engine was thirsty

2010 Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel (Don't laugh - this car has the build quality of an Audi, is fast and roomy, has all the bells and whistles, averages 58 mpg and has £35 p.a road tax)

2010 Hyundai i10 (wife’s) (A great small car - but with a roomy well appointed cabin. Nippy and frugal - ideal about town)

• 13 years later...

Use Brake Cleaner As Starter Fluid in Old Models Cars

No, it is not recommended to use brake cleaner as a starter fluid. Here are a few key reasons why:

• Formulation - Brake cleaner is designed to remove oil, grease and debris from braking components. Starter fluid contains ether and is made specifically to help start engines by being volatile and ignitable. The formulas are very different.
  • Flammability - Brake cleaner is much more flammable than starter fluid and can ignite more easily. This presents a safety hazard, especially when spraying around ignition components.
  • Residue - Brake cleaner leaves behind a residue after evaporation unlike starter fluid which vaporizes cleanly. This residue can hamper engine starting.
  • Plastic/Rubber - The chemicals in brake cleaner can damage plastic and rubber engine components which starter fluid does not. This can cause long-term issues.
  • Sensor Contamination - Brake cleaner residue can contaminate oxygen sensors and other sensors leading to problems with fuel injection and emissions systems.
  • Effectiveness - Brake cleaner does not vaporize as well at low temperatures as starter fluid, making it less effective as an aid for starting engines in cold weather.

The potential damage and safety hazards make brake cleaner a poor choice over purpose-made starter fluids. It's better to use proper starter fluid or call for assistance if starter fluid is unavailable. Using the correct materials for each automotive job is always advisable.