Windows XP to Netgear Router connection trouble

China DIapers

Hi,

I use a Macbook, the internet works fine. I have recently used Bootmagic to partition my drive and install Windows XP on the second partition and am struggling to connect to the internet.

My WIndows partition gave me a list of available connections, so I take it this means the airport is working OK. When I tried to connect to my connection it asked me for a WPA something, I just made something up, typed it in and hoped for the best.

I now get a connection icon in the taskbar, when I hover over it is says something about searching for address (not sure I keep having to switch between my windows and mac partitions and my memory is shocking), but it does recognise the name of my connection and otherwise looks good, except that the internet is not working. When I look at ipconfig there is no ip address, just 0.0.0.0.

So after some research apparently I need to get the WPA thingy from my Netgear Router, so I fire up my browser and point it to http:\\192.169.2.1, but is asks me if I want to connect or work offline, if I click connect it asks for my username and password (no idea), if I click offline it does nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? I am hopeless when it comes to internet connections.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, and welcome.

if I click connect it asks for my username and password

With Netgear routers it is usually:

Username: = admin

Password: = password

Here is a link to help you understand WPA:

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

John.

• 5 weeks later...