network vista with xp

owners4life5

hello,

i.m new to these forums, since i.m a linux geek..

but anyhow,

i help out my teachers at school with their different computers, and they all have either xp, or vista.

so anyway, i have to route two of my teacher's computers with each other through an ethernet...so one can read the files, and print.

her desktop with xp is the one that reads the files, and her laptop with vista is the server, which has the files on them. the desktop is connected to the printer, and i have the ethernet plugged in-between them.

no problem, right??

well, the problem is, when i go to access the vista machine off of the xp, it asks for a username and password

i would usually know, but i.m a linux user, which you all probably really hate me, but i need some help on this one.

any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks

well, the problem is, when i go to access the vista machine off of the xp, it asks for a username and password

i would usually know, but i.m a linux user, which you all probably really hate me, but i need some help on this one.

Hi,owners4life5.Welcome to Windows Forum.

Could you not just ask the teacher for the username and password?

There are several Linux users here.You will not be treated as an outcast unless you start posting spam or other nonsense.;)

well, the vista machine doesn.t have a password for any sort of administration... everything is 'unlocked' on it.

You may have to create a user account on the Vista machine.

Make sure the Vista machine has a user account with the same username and password as you are using on the XP.

Check that Network Discovery/File Sharing configs are enabled.

Keep us updated.