Run an intranet batch-file via Explorer- no go

benkvi

Hi.

I've created a simple html web-page for use in my internal network. One function here is to run a batch-file. The file is linked to directly and is downloaded and then run in IE8 on a Win7 pro-machine, but it doesn't run! I get no error message.

I suspect some security setting is blocking it, because on another XP-machine (also w/IE8), it runs perfectly.

Does anybody know why it won't run in Win7..?

Hi.

I've created a simple html web-page for use in my internal network. One function here is to run a batch-file. The file is linked to directly and is downloaded and then run in IE8 on a Win7 pro-machine, but it doesn't run! I get no error message.

I suspect some security setting is blocking it, because on another XP-machine (also w/IE8), it runs perfectly.

Does anybody know why it won't run in Win7..?

Ok. I found out that the program I need to run the batch is not recognized by Win7 (MagicISO's "miso.exe"). As mentioned, XP accepts this external command, but Win7 will not. How come?

Hi.

Batch is only a one-liner:

miso NULL -mnt g: "path to image-file"

The miso.exe is copied to system32-directory, but even with full path to the original MagicISO-directory it is not recognized. This is only when the .bat is run after download via IE8. If I run the .bat from i.e. the desktop, it works. Miso also works/is recognized if run directly from the command-prompt.

Ok UAC is a good guess, but I have disabled it, and my account has admin priveleges.

The only way the .bat won't run (miso not recognized) is when downloaded and run via IE

Any more suggestions I can try..?

Well, I think I've "solved" it.

I'm puzzeled still, but when I "open with IE"* the webpage-file, the .bat-running fails, BUT if I first open IE independently, then visit my wabpage, It Works!

It is the strangest thing if you ask me. But if it works, it works, I guess :) Why the "open with"-function triggers this bug(?), is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm happy now. My page is home in IE and performs as I desire.

*I use FF as default, so I had to explicitly open in IE because FF won't run .bats just like that, as IE will. (Wonder if I'll ever stop scratching my head in this wonderful data world). Case closed :D