How Do You Make a Simple XP Mode Taskbar Icon?

RobertG

In Windows 7 Pro, is it possible to make a quick launch icon on the taskbar that will simply start XP mode? I can make one on the desktop but when I pin it to the taskbar and delete the desktop one, I'm left with a Virtual Machine Icon. Yeah, it works, but I would like to eliminate the right-click/choose-the-option monkey motion.

In Windows 7 Pro, is it possible to make a quick launch icon on the taskbar that will simply start XP mode? I can make one on the desktop but when I pin it to the taskbar and delete the desktop one, I'm left with a Virtual Machine Icon. Yeah, it works, but I would like to eliminate the right-click/choose-the-option monkey motion.

Maybe this little useful tip from Bugsy will sort you out.Pin A Drive To Your Taskbar.

Works.;)

Maybe this little useful tip from Bugsy will sort you out.Pin A Drive To Your Taskbar.

I took a look at that. I can get as far as opening the properties box for the icon. When it comes to "Change the contents of both the Target and Start In boxes" I run beyond my level of expertise. There's a button to change the program it opens with and one for advanced attributes. There don't seem to be "target" or "start in" boxes to work with.

I can make a properly functioning icon on the desktop by choosing New-Shortcut but when I pin it to the taskbar, it works fine until I delete the one on the desktop. Until that point, the "Target" shows as the proper location and the "Start in" is correct. If I delete the one on the desktop, it changes the properties and doesn't work at all. I loose the ability to choose the "Target" and "Start in" boxes so I can't make it work again. Then I'm back at the point I get to following Bugsy's instructions.

I know there has to be a way to do it. I'll keep fiddling and hopefully blunder into the solution.

Thanks for the suggestion, bludgard. I appreciate it.

Are you right clicking the taskbar icon?Right clicking the XP-VM disk/.exe file/or whatever hovers over the opened icon?And try right clicking again on the properties option.You should get results similar to photo posted below that I have rigged to my games partition.

Check read/write/execute permissions as well.

I'll keep lookin'.

One

Pardon.

I tried to edit earlier post but didn't have sufficient rights.:P

You may have the option under right ciick context to pin XP Mode to taskbar from Start menu

If not you may try to create a folder on desktop and render it to a shortcut by aiming target at the VM's .exe/.disk file after dropping it on the taskbar.(Maybe the stock shortcut cannot be manipulated).

Photo included

Oops, I posted too soon on that one. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm right clicking on the icon on the start menu or taskbar then choosing properties. I've tried it in both locations. The properties option will bring up the same result you posted. That can be modified or changed as I like.

I get the right results as long as the original icon I created is on the desktop. When I delete that, the icon on the taskbar (or start menu) changes and right clicking on properties doesn't bring up the same options. For some reason, when I pin it to the taskbar, it must just become a link to the icon on the desktop.

If I create another icon to XP Mode while there's the standard Windows 7 icon pinned, I can't pin the new one other than to an existing icon.

Well, I'm not out of business or anything, I was just trying to make it simple and slick. Thanks for your posts.