Microsoft Fake Security Email

Guest lb

MICROSOFT NEVER sends you emails with patch fixes embedded in them – and you only get security alert notices if you've opted in.

So beware a particularly pernicious message that's doing the rounds. This one, claiming to come from "Microsoft Corporation Public Support" looks highly convincing, as you can see from the screenshot below, comes with an attachment called Q934821.exe which you shouldn't click under any circumstances.

In fact, and if you're concerned about holes and other Microsoft security information, you should go to this page.

Here's what the fake Microsoft email looks like, with the fake subject line "New Network Patch". The same rubbish is masquerading under different email headers, such as "Use this patch immediately", and "Newest Internet Critical Pack". It's an attack.

This also, of course, uses Microsoft logos, so the software firm can take action against the spammers

source: Inquirer

post-7-1063960495.gif

I found an e-mail supposedely from Microsoft when I checked on Mailwasher yeterday. I was able to look at the contents on the server's site, and sure enough it told me to click to install the patch. Obviously is was deleted along with the rest of the spam. It was there waiting for me again this morning along with another thirty six spam messages.