Solved-Agp Card Voltage Question

Boris

Longstanding members will recall the possible early "death" of ellas mobo some time ago, following which I acquired it in exchange for a small donation to doug's Great North Run.

I have been asembling bits over the intervenuing period to build myself a backup PC - hopefully using ellas MS-6534 board. As I couldn't find anyone to borrow a socket 478 P4 or Celeron from, I had to wait until I could afford the cash to buy a Celeron, It came this week, so assembly finally finished this afternoon.

For some reason it doesn't seem to drive my screen.

Quote from the product spec of the board :-

"The AGP slot DOES NOT support 3.3V AGP 2x card"

The card I've tried to use in it is a 32meg NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 AGP 2.0.

which supports AGP speeds 1x 2x 4x.

I think this possibly may be a 3.3v card, but can't find any details to confirm this - AIDA, SANDRA and Belarc don't go this detailed ?

Any ideas ?

If it is a 3.3v card, can anyone recommend a cheap 1.5v AGP card for me ?

if i remember correctly the different voltage cards will not fit into the incorrect slots.

It may be an obvious question but have you set the primary vga device to AGP in the bios or can you not even get that on screen??

Quote from this page http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...tail.php?UID=40 about identifying your AGP card spec.

"To identify the spec of your AGP card, refer to the documentation supplied with the AGP card or check the view of its contact pins (golden fingers) before you install it. "

:o :o :o GOLDEN FINGERS ??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

does the machine emit a series of bleeps????  and if so, how many?

The full Monty :-

Board - MS-6534 in my old ATX case with "Tsunami" 350W PSU

RAM - 128MB PC133 SDRAM - Crucial supplied - is correct for the board, and went in no apparent probs !

CPU - Brand new Celeron 2.0 + fan/heatsink from e-Buyer

Very old Panasonic DVD and floppy drives

I'd also borrowed (from daughter's PIII as she's been away for the day)

Video Card - 32meg NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 AGP 2.0

H/D - 20 gig Seagate with 98SE

Connected it all up,

Cleared the CMOS

turned on

and ...........................

PSU fan working

Video Card fan working

Case fan working

Power light on case comes on

DVD-drive light flickers

H/D makes starting to boot-up noises

but

no beeps

screen stays blank

Thinks - "now what did ellas say happened to him last time ? Did he get as far as that ?"

Power off/on switch on the case doesn't seem to have any effect, but reset switch does something.

Everything I've used was working before I connected up - except the board.

the golden fingers are the gold contacts at the bottom as LB says different voltage cards will not fit in other slots,got a spare pci video card lying around,also boris I never got the single beep.

dont forget boris the memory,cpu and video card which were installed on that mobo are working on the system I am typing this message now,I'm afraid the mobo is no good,sorry mate but I did warn you.

as I said boris the problem only came after inserting a second memory ram,it was very tight to put in,was not seen by windows so I swapped them over then the problem began.

My guess then is that the memory slots are damaged ?

The "rough" solder underneath is some distance from my case even when you press hard on the board. Perhaps your stand-offs were shorter and "forcing" the stick in caused something to break/short internally ?

My guess is that its really RIP !

So

I now need a cheap Socket 478 mobo that takes PC133 and DDR as well ?

How about an Asus P4S 533-MX ?

Any better suggestions ?

how much do you want to pay,this too much

**Clearance** MSI MS-6524GL (Socket 478) Motherboard **NEW - NO BOX OR MANUAL - NO GUARANTEE** (CL-001-MS)

Price: £29.00 (£34.08 Including VAT at 17.5%)

**Clearance** MSI MS-6524GL (Socket 478) Motherboard **NEW - NO BOX OR MANUAL - NO GUARANTEE** (CL-001-MS)

Price: £29.00 (£34.08 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Where from ?

AUT ?

ASUS P4S533/MX SDR/DDR VGA+SND+LAN+TV-OUT ATX

http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product_info....ockcode=M002309

£42.24 inc VAT + carriage = £47.53