Can't Put A USB Card In

Got a second hand computer the other day - an Acer 'Aspire' if that means anything to anyone.

It has one USB port on the front and two on the back. But the ports on the back don't work.

When I got it there was a USB hub hanging from that front port with the mouse hanging from it and a couple of other things.

So I tried to move the USB mouse to the back. Found the ports were dead.

So I got a USB card and put it in - four new ports.

System found them and implemented them. Recognised them. Said there were okay.

But when I put the mouse into one and booted up the whole machine hung up!

Again and again.

What can I do? What's the reason for this strange behaviour? I thought computers were trouble-free and always happy to oblige.

:)

I think the key words in your post are "second hand computer".

There must have been a reason for the previous owner to dispose of the machine - possibly you have found that reason.

If you can, try to get your money back otherwise, just put it down to experience and use the computer parts as spares. It is not normally worthwhile expending a lot of effort on something of such little monetary value.

He gave it to me for nothing. It is fine otherwise. I did plug the mouse in while it was switched off. I think I'll try a serial mouse perhaps or even try plugging a second mouse in while it is switched on. And change the PCI slot the card is in. and put the card in another computer to see how good it is.. maybe it is faulty...