Setting Up new Network

emptage

Hi

My first post so please be gentle with me !!

I have a desktop running win 7 64 bit with broadband supplied by Virgin media cable. I also have another desktop computer which is not being used on which I am going to reinstall XP for my wife to use. I originally reformatted the hard disk as I thought I was going to sell it. I want this PC to have a wireless connection. I have the netgear router supplied by Virgin and I know I need to buy a wireless adapter for my wifes pc, this will probably be a TP Link card. I want the main PC to be hard wired and only my wife's PC to be wireless.

My question is how do I connect the Wireless Router and the Virgin Modem. Do I connect the wireless router to the virgin box on the wall and then connect the modem to the router or do I connect the Modem to the wall box and then connect the wireless router to the modem ?

All advice appreciated

Assuming that you currently just have your desktop connected to the Virgin cable modem by an ethernet connection on the PC ?

If so, just disconnect the ethernet cable from your PC, plug it into the wireless router, set the router up, and then connect your existing PC by ethernet cable to the router.

Assuming that you currently just have your desktop connected to the Virgin cable modem by an ethernet connection on the PC ?

If so, just disconnect the ethernet cable from your PC, plug it into the wireless router, set the router up, and then connect your existing PC by ethernet cable to the router.

Thanks for the reply

Yes the PC is connected to the modem by ethernet cable.

So the connection is from the virgin box on the wall to the modem and then to the router and from the router to the pc by ethernet cable ?