UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK LOSS OF INTERNET CONNECTION

jothman

Hi I am running

windows vista home premium sp 2,

amd dual core 2.1 gz, 4 gigs ram, connected to internet through wifi

laptop was running fine and connected to internet. I connected new blackberry playbook and now have lost internet to my laptop. all other devices are still connected and running fine.

at one stage it said multiple networks, but having spent 10 hours and multiple solutions to no avail, it now says unidentified network and still will not connect. i know alittle about computers but networking is not one of them and having changed settings and installed fix it programs I am now at my wits end.

on cmd i type ipconfig i get subnet mask but no default gateway number???? maybe something to do with that.

I dont have access to the router so i cannot reset it but all other devices run fine with internet.

Please help I have been struggling for days!

Firstly I would run a full virus/malware scan with your AV and then run Malwarebytes Free on a full scan in safemode because it is possible this could be a virus issue.

Then;

Run a chkdsk

And a System File Scan - sfc /scannow from command line as Admin

From the command line as Admin

To reset winsock - netsh winsock reset catalog

To reset TCP/IP stack - netsh int ip reset reset.log

And/or

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Are you piggy backing someone else's router?

You may need to 'Reset' the router!

Follow the instructions that Makcalable has just given you. - It is good advice.

If you are still pulling your hair out after that you can try an automated third party tool which works very well, saves a lot of time, and you dont have to get your hands dirty. (Actually includes some of Makcalable's suggestions)

The tool is called "Complete Internet Repair" and you can download it ** HERE ** and yes it's - Free !

John.

EDIT: Do the full Malwarebytes scan and the other things Makcalable has suggested, - FIRST !

thanks guys will try these. im renting so the router is in my landlords apartment but wont reset it, hes a bit of an idiot. funny thing is i managed to type in settings manually and yesterday got it connected to my network but could not access a webpage, but today its back to unidentified network. will try ur methods. wife is getting a netbook soon and i have another pc connected. i want to try plugging my bb playbookinto my pc but scared it ill mess its network settings too. some times in device manager under network adapters it has a rim network adapter and sometimes instead of unidentified network it says multiple networks.

when i do ipconfig/all thefe is no default gateway number. I have been spending hours each day on various forums about all these issues argghhhhh will update when i have done scans and give u ipconfig results. t

hank u so much for both of ur replys :)

done the system scanand it came up with some errors but fixed them, i reset the winsock and tcp/ip stack but cant do the ipconfig release or renew it says anerror occured while realeasing interface wireless network connection: an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint

no operation can be performed on bluetooth network connection while its media disconnected.

no operation can be performed on local area connection while it it has media disconnected.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Hobbit>ipconfig/release

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while releasing interface Wireless Network Connection : An add

ress has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.

No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its m

edia disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di

sconnected.

C:\Users\Hobbit>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hobbit-PC

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

System Quarantine State . . . . . : Not Restricted

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-00-88-DD-78

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d1c0:52bc:cdfd:3b38%15(Preferred)

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.59.56(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889472

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-E6-77-88-00-24-81-3F-55-43

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-86-D2-9A-81

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8042 PCI-E Fast Ethernet

Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-81-3F-55-43

Good work ! :good:

Seems as though you are getting there.

thanks its actually quite informative when something goes wrong self learning. with alot of help. i am almost there i try manully inputting the dns, gteway, ip address, but router is not pingging, it says the dns is wrong but it is the number i got off the router page. is this the correct number i should be putting in?. thank you for ur help

If as you say the landlord is a complete idiot, that puts you at an obvious disadvantage. Or does it ? Dependant upon on the network activity level, the router may query multiple name servers listed in the configuration. (Which country do you live in ?) This is an example:

router>
test002

Translating ?test002?...domain server (172.16.33.18) (171.70.10.78)

(171.100.20.78)

(172.16.33.18) (171.70.10.78) (171.10.20.78)

Translating ?test002?...domain server (172.16.33.18) [OK]

Trying test002.rtr.abc.com (171.68.23.130)... Open

This behavior is expected (What router is it ?) and occurs when the router needs to create an Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) entry for the DNS server. By default, a router maintains an ARP entry for four hours. In periods of low activity, the router needs to complete the ARP entry and then perform the DNS query. If the ARP entry for the DNS server is not in the router ARP table, then you would get a failure if sending only one DNS query. So, two queries are sent out, one to get the ARP entry, if needed, and the second to actually do the DNS query. This behavior is common with TCP/IP applications. Without access to the router I would suggest relocation to an area where ownership autonomy of signal input/output could be achieved to completely satisfy your future needs.

As you state that all other devices are connected and running fine, it is probably time now to reset the problem computer back to a disk image that you have previously made, or just re-install the operating system.

The amount of time you have spent so far suggests that a fresh Windows install could have been carried out many times within the same timeframe that you have spent trying to fix it with basically what you have admitted to as "Zero Knowledge". The gain though as you point out is of course "Self Learning.

It worked before you connected the Blackberry Playbook, - it will work again. (System Restore to a time before you messed it up playing about with the Blackberry perhaps ?)