Data in Every Internet Browser Myseriously Deleted

pageturner1988

This happened to my computer sometime last night. As the title says, my history, bookmarks, sessions, passwords, etc. were deleted in every browser on my computer (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE). I've been able to recover some of the data from an old back up, but I'd like to make sure this doesn't happen again. Does anyone know where I should begin looking into this? I don't have any disk cleaning program scheduled to run automatically, so that wouldn't be the cause.

My operating system is Windows 7 (64 bit)

:welcomewf:

Your problem is probably due to a virus infection. Run Malwarebytes in "Safe Mode" to clear all malware.

Keep virus definitions well up to date in the future, and think of installing Spybot Search and Destroy to run alongside your normal AV software

System Restore Explorer allows you to mount system restore points that have been made in the past. You may be able to reclaim more of your lost files this way. Remember to scan those files and folders also before returning them to your operating system. You can download that here: http://nicbedford.co...estoreexplorer/

For the future do try to make system image backups. These can be a lifesaver in situations like this.

Many on this forum use Acronis or Macrium Free Version. Some versions of Windows 7 include system imaging. Check to see if yours does.

If you are still in trouble. Please return to us.

Sorry for late reply.

John.

No worries, thanks for the reply. I did try doing a full scan with my AV software after I got my data recovered; it found nothing. Malwarebytes also didn't discover anything interesting after a full scan. I'm a bit flummoxed by the whole thing now, but I'm taking better steps to protect against this sort of stuff. If it ever does happen again I'll be back, hopefully with more info.