Reading rpm database from windows

Hello,

I want to read a rpm database through my program in c ,I searched for it and found there is one library openly available that is rpmlib thorugh which we can access rpm databse from linux but I want to use it from windows is it possible to read one rpm database from windows and read all properties of it,

If yes then kindly tell me about it.

Thanks

Hi there. :welcomewf:

To put what you have said into more simple terms:

(1) - You primarily wish to be able to read from the Linux file system, in a Windows System.

(2) - You wish to access and read a database (not write to) called rpmlib whilst in the Windows environment.

As you have just joined, and also posted this question on a Unix based forum just over an hour ago it would perhaps be good manners to let them have their reply also. ( http://www.unix.com/...se-windows.html )

But in the meantime, I will give you a link to some freeware from DiskInternals which will allow you to read the Linux file system on a Windows machine.

Please click here: http://www.diskinter...m/linux-reader/ for the free Linux reader.

From this point on I will leave it to David and the lads at Unix.com to guide you.

John.

Thanks John,

My goal is to read a rpm file means its version,time of creation and all information it is containing in the header of it.

I have the rpmlib which is library for reading this header and all information about the rpm but the problem is that it is meant for linux .

we can write a program for it using this library in linux environment but I want to know is it possible to use this library as a .dll file or can we create a .dll of this library and use in windows environment.

Thanks

My honest reply here must be " I do not know", and there is nothing worse than trying to waffle forever onwards with a subject that you have no knowledge about. The only thing I can do is point you in what I feel is the right direction (as I did with Linux Reader) and hope for the best.

You have cast your net further to Unix.com, and can only hope for a reply from them (No joy in over 5 hours) or hang on here in case one of our Linux users signs in and can help you.

Sorry that I cannot be more helpful. :(

John.

As a follow up to this query for anyone interested, here is a reply that Pradiptart finally got from "Fedora Forum"

Gareth of Fedora: - That's a fairly unusual thing to do so I doubt anyone has any first-hand experience.

Try compiling rpmlib from source on Windows (and its dependencies) and see if it compiles. If there are problems, I'd suggest using Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/), which provides a POSIX programming environment on Windows, along with pretty much any Linux software you'd ever want to run on Windows. It might even have librpm, but if not it should allow it to be compiled from source.

Gareth's idea to use Cygwin is good, and there's also MinGW, which gives you a slightly more "native" Windows application. If you want a more direct Windows-based API for RPM then try rpmwin32: http://sourceforge.n...jects/rpmwin32/. It's kind of old and appears to be C++-based.

That's kept anyone who wanted to be kept in the loop, - in the loop. :D

John.