Hard drive keeps ejecting

jbobjerew

Hello there, this is getting very frustrating.

I'm in the process of organising itunes files and listening to stuff which are stored on my external hard drive. I havn't used it for a while. My PC keeps disconnecting from it and then re connecting which means that my itunes keeps forgetting where all the music is stored. It's driving me mad.

I don't think its the hard drive itself because I've noticed things like this happen before, for example with my phone and usb memory sticks etc. I think the problem is with my USB ports.

Does anyone know anything I can do to fix this problem before I go completely mad?

Thank you!

I've seen this problem myself - all too often. It is, as you suggest, most likely to be the USB ports, especially if they have been used a lot plugging/unplugging.

Most USB ports are quite fragile and don't withstand a lot of use.

What I have done in the past is to replace the whole of the socket - this does require soldering skills.

Or with a USB extension cable (plug one end, free socket the other) lift the connectors carefully from their flat position using a mini screwdriver or similar. You only need a slight alteration to be effective. Plug the modified plug into your computer and your USB device into the other end. If it works, consider getting a powered USB hub, plug that into your extension then use the hub for all your device swapping.