System Power Problems

Sureshot

Hello all,

I have just installed my new Audigy2 soundcard and speakers. It worked first time with no problems but on a second attempt at booting the system did absolutely nothing. The front panel light was on, as was the mobo light. I removed the card and the system started fine. I then decided to check to see if the card was faulty by disconnecting my DVD rom and installing the card again. The system boots up fine but when I connected the DVD rom back up the system failed to start. I have a A7V333 mobo with 1 HDD, 1 CD/RW, 1 DVD-ROM and my sound card. It seems to be an issue of voltage. Can anyone help me on this matter? Please

I am using a 350W power supply also

i am failing to see the connection between your sound card and your dvd player.

it is powered by a completely separate power connector to the power running round your mobo powering your sound card.

does the system issues any beeps when turned on ????

I do see a general connection here.

I think Sureshot has hit it on the head.

I dont think your PSU is up to powering all your devices.

I installed a new hard disk today and i was wondering if the system was going to power up as i also have a 350 watt PSU.

My system is up and running, but i shall upgrade to either a 450watt or 550watt PSU.

My advice to you is to invest in a high power PSU, this will insure that enough power is going around your system.

Get a PSU that is future proof! (no doubt you will want to upgrade your system some more in the future).

Edit - just think, if your PSU is having trouble with all the devices attached to it, when you do have it running it could be causing damage to your system under normal working conditions due to surges and spikes in the electric supply.

well the excitement of having an Audigy2 soundcard and 6.1 surround sound speakers was somewhat dulled by the fact that my system failed to boot. I disconnected the DVD-ROM drive on a hunch that this would confirm whether the Soundcard was faulty or not. If the system booted up with it connected and with the DVD-rom (as an example) disconnected then it confirmed it as a power problem and not a hardware problem. I have a friend who is running a 128mb gfx card, DVD and CD/rw drives, 120Gb hdd, and a LAN card with a 350W supply.

I can't understand why my system with a 60Gb drive and DVD drive, CD/rw drive and only a 64mb Gfx card is having problems. The only thought that I have had is that the power supply "ain't what it says on the tin"

Can I get any more juice from this power supply or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a new Power supply?

sureshot.

I would of thought that a 350W supply should be ample.

I have a 40 + 120 gig hard drive, a cdrw and a dvd rom. The board is running a 56k modem, 64Mb 3dfx card( X4), a lan card, a firewire card. It is also drawing extra power for the front usb and sound connectors. This runs with out problems on my 350W psu, but sound is on board.

I think that some psu's, although they may be rated at a certain wattage, don't have the quality of output. This may be the case with yours. I would experiment a bit more. Try pulling the lan card out, or the modem and seeing if it will boot.

If you find that taking out a component and then it will boot it may well be the psu. Have you checked that absolutely every thing is well seated and all IDE and power connectors are firmly in. Also check the board, so it is rock solid. Is there no way it just might be shorting on the chassis.

well If this doesn't work I am lost!

I tried alternating the drives that I disconnected and the behaviour was the same. I could watch a DVD quite happily and not use the CD/RW. Both work fine with the sound card so it can't be a compatibilty problem on that part.

I have checked my IRQ status and the rest of the system and it shows no conflicts whatsoever.

I reckon the PSU that came with the case isn't up to the task plain and simple - I hope :unsure:

I had thought of the irq's, but you're on x\p ( aren't you ) and these usually make virtual irq ports. My primary and secondary Ide's are on irq's 14 + 15. With the sound allocated to irq 5.

What irq has been allocated to your sound card?

On some systems that have been overpopulated with irq's, especially 98 + me. I have disabled comm port2 in the bios to free a spare irq. What with most peripherals using usb, firewire etc. This port hardly gets used. This gives the modem virtual comm port 2 to operate.

You have taken the plunge and ordered a larger psu. This seems to be the logical ( Mr. Spock ) next step to take.

By the way how have you set the audio cables from the dvd and cdrw. Are any attached or are you using digital audio playback through windows.

My sound card is sharing IRQ16 with my Graphics card and a Universal USB controller. I thought this was slightly weird at first, that 2 such components would share an IRQ channel but it doesn't seem to affect them in the slightest.

I have connected the audio cables from each drive to CD -IN and AUX on the Audigy2 card. I tried disconnecting them during my tests incase it was some kind of short circuit but that didn't have any effect.

On the ordering front - I ordered yesterday at 1.15pm and the item arrived in the Glasgow depot of Citylink at 7.01am this morning. It went on to a van at 8.12am and left for delivery. As of right now it is still not here! This bit seems to be the slowest part :) But can't complain, its pretty damn quick!

Yeesssssss!

I have just installed my new PSU by Enermax and pleased to report that with all drives reconnected the system works a treat. I also ran my Asus mobo probe and the voltage readings on all rails are as flat as a very flat thing on a particularly flat day! My previous PSU was like a bumpy road. So big improvement in the standard of power going into my system.

I tested my new sound system on my reconnected DVD drive with Shrek too and I am totally pleased with the results. :D :D

I would just like to say a huge thanks to everyone who posted on this thread with help. Thank you all

Sureshot (smiling)

Yes I thought it was strange that the sound + graphics + usb are sharing the same irq. Then I looked at mine. My graphics + modem + usb are using irq11.

Just out of interest, have you tried removing it from device manager and rebooting. Windows MAY reassign it to a different irq. Also I would have thought that you would like to have priority from your dvd straight to the graphics card. Have you thought of disconnecting the audio lead from the cdrw and enabling digital audio playback, through windows.

To try this go to device manager--dvd + cdrom drives. Pick the cdrw drive and open properties. There is a tick box for enable digital cd audio for this device.

Just a couple of vague ideas.

Have included a screen shot of my irq's.

post-49-1064589362.jpg