Ping and URL

arc

Hi,

I am trying to ping a url : guthub.com.

I am able to open the github.com from my browser but not able to ping it from the command prompt.

I am not able to figure out what could be the issue, as I understand if I am able to open a website from my browser I should be able to ping it from the command prompt.

Please help and let me know if my understanding is correct.

Yeah, I get that with some sites too. Have never had the time or inclination to find out why.

As you can see from the photo below, I can ping github o.k. But if I ping Codeplex it times out, although as you can see I have the webpage open in my browser.

I tend to bury my head in the sand with stuff like this (My bad, - I know :( ) I just haven't got time to go chasing down things that are obviously working, but technology tells me they are not. It just makes me crazier than I am already, and life is way too short.

If you do find out why please post back here. I would show a mild interest. :)

John.

git.jpg

but not able to

I can never understand what "not able" or "unable" means. Or "cannot" for the matter.

Does it mean that the keyboard won't let you type it, or you type it but it does not appear in the Command Prompt window, or the ping command issues an error message, or nothing happens at all, or...?

Please supply an exact description what you are doing, and what is happening as a result, as we cannot see what you are doing in front of your computer.

Pat Said: I can never understand what "not able" or "unable" means. Or "cannot" for the matter.

Aaah ! A fellow pedant by my side at last Pat.

"In this queer pedantism of a man who had read, thought, lived, pen in hand, there is the sincerity of the attempt to grapple by the same means with another profounder knowledge." Joseph Conrad. Under Western Eyes.

.=.=.=.=.

We could of course just ask "arc" to download WinPing ( http://www.softpedia...r-WinPing.shtml ) and post a screenshot to satisfy our search for the mediocrities of computing to fill the vacuum of free time with which we find ourselves.

I have long since realised that "If you cant beat 'em, - join 'em" seems a reasonable course of action, - if of course you put a twist on it.

"They" (The posters) will often use one person with multiple usernames, - whilst I on the other hand, have but one username with multiple personalities.

Therefore if I awake in the morning as Henry Kissinger, posters can expect the utmost diplomacy.

However if I awake as Mike Tyson my responses are quite different. Throw in a few random "Smilies", and an affectation of tourettes syndrome with shouting for good measure, and there we have a level playing field. Biased slightly in my direction.

Regards.

Elizabeth. xxx. Sorry, she had to leave. The voices told her to go and clean the guns.

John. (For whom the saying "Mad as a bag of spanners" is a slight understatement.) :lol: - token smilie

P.S. - What was the original question ?