New Computer or Upgrade A Few Hardware

I have a very old desktop computer from around, let's say 2006ish and I was wondering would it be cheaper to upgrade individual pieces (RAM, processor, graphic card, windows 7, etc.) I have been wanting to upgrade my computer to play some of the newer computer games like Diablo 3 on it. My spec's are as follows.

-Hewlett Packard

-Windows XP Professional

-512 MB RAM (horrible)

-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz

-Radeon 9200

I am not worried about upgrading the operating system, but would it be better to add on 2-4GB RAM, upgrade the video card, and a new processor to play Diablo 3, Max Payne, etc. or to just buy a whole new computer? Ebay has some very good prices from what I've found. Not sure if it is as simple as just upgrading hardware like that or not. Prices and examples would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A date of 2006, in computer terms, means it's equivalent to an antique.

My view is that anything you do to a machine as old as that will be a great disappointment. Whichever part(s) you replace will most likely result in something else not being up to the new environment, or just not compatible such that, in the end you will be paying out more than for the equivalent of a new computer and then having a machine with poor performance due to some old parts and all stored in an old case.

I used to be an avid computer builder but fairly recently I have become a convert to laptop machines - bought ready built. OK, a desktop machine may be a bit more versatile in what it's capable of but I have not found myself noticeably restricted in what the machines are able to do. I do have 15 port USB hubs attached to make up for the restricted number of on-board USB connectors. All of this for around £300 if you shop around carefully.

Always buy a well known brand and with the highest specification you can afford, consistent with what you want the machine to do. Also, buy from a reliable dealer.

Note that eBay is not necessarily cheaper than buying from a known dealer and does have a certain increased risk if it is a non-business transaction.