Undo overwrite of a folder and its files

I have copied a folder (Folder1 ) from a one drive ( external hard disk) to another directory (folder 2) in my laptop.

The names of the folders are the same and hence the folder1 has overwritten the folder 2

But actually I needed to do the other way - that is folder 2 should have replaced folder 1, as folder 2 had the latest files.

Now I want to undo the copy of the folder.

Is there any way?

Thanks in advance.

Rename the folder that hasn't got the latest files "XXX". (You dont want that)

Keep the folder with the latest files (You do want that)

Rename the folder with the latest files "001" (That's the folder that you do want)

Make a copy of the folder "001" (That's the folder with the latest files that you do want)

Paste the copy of the folder (001) into the directory where "XXX" is stored. (XXX being the folder that you perhaps no longer require)

Rename the pasted folder as 001b

The original folder (Containing the files that you do want - being the latest of course) can now be renamed as in the very first instance.

The copied/pasted folder can also be given the same name but now with a suffix "b"

All that remains now is to carefully examine the contents of the folder "XXX" to ascertain that the files within are no longer required (Perhaps because they are not the latest files, which is why you didn't want them in the first place)

If the files within the folder "XXX" are no longer required, you may delete folder "XXX" after a reasonable amount of time.

You should now find yourself in the position of having a duplicate of the folder that you originally required ( The one with the latest files) in two places on your computer.

For future reference it would be as well to set up an synchronised incremental backup system between the two folders to avoid a similar situation occuring in the future. ( You will find such software as free or open source if you Google for it.)