2730p displays nothing but black after loading vista, is loading os sl

it was working perfectly fine just a few days ago with the latest turbo boost drivers: 8.15.10.2302

suddenly, i don't know what happened (the last thing i did was change the font dpi settings) but now, loading the os takes much longer and with those same drivers, the screen displays nothing but black even after reinstalling them in safe mode.

i've resorted to using the older drivers: 7.15.10.1908 which actually work perfectly, but i'm very concerned about what may have caused this in the first place.

one possible clue: when loading the os in safe mode, it actually hangs for about 20 seconds on a file that it also hung with when attempting to load the os from a hdd that then shortly died. could it be that this hdd is dying?

i've resorted to using the older drivers: 7.15.10.1908 which actually work perfectly,...

Keep these :)

could it be that this hdd is dying?

Kindly provide the make and model of the HDD and we'll see if a proper diagnostic tool can be located. ;)

according to pc wizard, the hdd is a toshiba mk1633gsg. it passes the bios test but i haven't tried the manufacturer's diagnostic. however, i'm now wondering if overheating may be the culprit.

the tablet tends to run a bit hot -like a scalding cup of coffee- although oddly enough, the cpufan tends to remain barely audible despite this.

moreover, pc wizard is reporting 3 conflicting temperatures for the cpu (simultaneously): 32C, 45C and 54C respectively. if the real temp is 54C but the fan sensor is going by the low temp, perhaps that could explain the low fan activity. then again, there are laptops which remain quiet despite being even hotter...

this whole install is about a week old; the old hdd died and i'd just finished installing all the drivers a few days before this happened. very strange.

Glad to hear one is taking the hands-on approach. Nothing like taking the initiative.

The temps probably represent three differing sensors (this does not 100% true 100% of the time :unsure: ).

Maybe the HDD, CPU and just the general conainer temp.

Check mine:

temps.jpg

(Tool found here in both install and portable versions. Free, May not give same results on your machine. Create a system/disk image now to stave off future issues... :devil: ).

Of course all the above may only prove true in my circumstance.

:hi: