Security when using any freeware

GabrielPotts

We need to be more careful when using any freeware. I heard that many freeware autometically send our personal info from our computer and browser to hacker (because many hacker put hacking tools behind freeware). So it is possible to easy hack our secured info.

So I think should be careful to use any freeware from untrusted site.

Are you agree with me?

So I think should be careful to use any freeware from untrusted site.

Are you agree with me?

How do we define "untrusted"?

I download and distrust everything; free or not. :lol:

Good topic, though.

+1

What was it that brought us to this topic, by the way? :huh:

I forget....

• 1 month later...

Gabriel, I agree with you about being cautious when using freeware. I have even changed the extension .EXE of the installer to .RAR and being able to remove the attached app. But obviously, it is not that easy to remove malware from freeware. Many not even containg malware

That best way to protect yourself is not using freeware at all, or just pay attention during the installation and disable everyting that is not needed. Unfortunately, most people just click "Accept" to everything.

Also, you could use Sandboxie, or any other similar app. I use the advance firewall of ZA. You could also create a restore point to which you can go back to if needed.

I often have to clean relative's & friend's infected PC's, mostly with rogue software and freeware. I have even cleaned a pc which had 10 different apps that their main feature was to play MP3's. This a bad habit many people do. Not because it is free, you have to get it. Use common sense.