Email Address Incorrect...

peter e

Hi all.

My wife received an e-mail where her first name, which is her user name in the first part of her address, was spelled incorrectly. The sender had typed two letter r's instead of a single one. I was under the impression that an e-mail address had to be spelled correctly otherwise the message would be returned.

I experimented with my own e-mail accounts, doubling letters in my user name, missing a single letter out etc, but nothing too drastic. I was surprised when each e-mail was received without a hitch. I sent incorrectly addressed messages between my ISP accounts and my yahoo and hotmail accounts - no problem as long as the errors in the address where minor.

Is this odd, or is everyone except me aware that this can happen? :blink:

Pete

I think I've figured out what it is. All our email addresses are of the form "[email protected]". It doesn't seem to matter what you put instead of "someone", as long as the "@somewhere.isp.net" is correct, then the email arrives without incident. I tried "[email protected]" and sent it from my hotmail account and it arrived OK.

We have mail rules set up which send each family member's mail into their own user account, but if I put anything instead of a genuine "someone" in the address the emails end up in the account of whoever is online.

Oh, well. I don't suppose it matters really. :blink:

I just sent four e-mails. One addressed correctly to name.name5@account .com, and others addressed to name6, name 15 ,and name 4. Only the correct one arrived. I expect to eventually receive messages that the others can't be delivered. Is it possible that different I.S.P's systems either pass wrong addresses or don't, as the case may be. Certainly all the spam sent to me is addressed correctly.

peter e, I think you are right in your thinking that you have an address that is 'anything'@somewhere.isp.net and all emails that use the correct domain (the bit after the @ sign) will be passed to your account. This is the method that freeserver uses (or did in the past). You have what is effectivly a catch all address. In a commercial environment the user would get a message saying that the address was unknonw but the email would actually end up in the postmasters inbox. The postmaster basically has an address that is *@domain.com and if the mail server can't find a valid address it will send it to the postmaster.

In your case I would expect any inccorectly addressed emails to end up in the primary account that you have.