Desktop tile gone from Start...

Hi, everyone, and Merry Christmas.

Just like that, my Desktop tile has disappeared and I can't seem to be able to get it back.

Before you tell me anything, I looked up some tutorials about typing "Desktop" and then right-clicking

and adding it to the Start, but none of them worked, simply because there is no "Desktop" entry

anywhere. I am at the point of inserting the W8 DVD and repairing the system to its defaults,

but I decided to see if anyone knows something about that.

Many thanks in advance.

A very Merry Christmas to you as well my friend. :)

I am at the point of inserting the W8 DVD and repairing the system to its defaults,

but I decided to see if anyone knows something about that.

You are in luck ! Someone does know something about that. It is at the very top of the page in our help guide presented as a video.

Dont forget you can still use System Restore also in Windows 8

Link to our guides: http://forums.window...248#entry332277

Take your time and read through some of the websites there in our guides and you may even get lucky and find a fix for your original fault without having to do a repair, refresh, or system restore. :D

Have a good one.

John.

Many thanks, MANEMAN. System Restore did the trick.

Although I don't know how it came about, I had installed CDeX prior to that, which brought Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable with it.

Of course I uninstalled it, when I thought about the moves I had done before the tiles disappeared.

One thing I don't get, though:

I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 already installed. Why did CDeX have to install a previous version of the same thing?

Anyway, many thanks again, and Merry Christmas, everyone.

P.S. When I tried the Refresh thing, it didn't allow me to do it because "the drive was locked and I needed to unlock it, first".

How could I have locked the drive without realising it? :mellow:

I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 already installed. Why did CDeX have to install a previous version of the same thing?

I would guess because without it, it kept crashing like the guy who built it found out maybe ?

You don't bother to read up on things a pile before you throw them at the ol' 'puter do you ? :)

Here you go: http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ Right at the top of the page.

How could I have locked the drive without realising it?

I doubt it was your fault. Windows 8 has a glitch. ( Just the one :uhm: )

The fix at the moment is: Unplug the machine from the mains. Unplug all other SATA drives except the one where the operating system resides - Restart the computer.

I cant see this being a viable fix for a computer with only the one drive somehow. :wacko: Hey Ho !

I'm not kidding on this. Read on................

"Windows 8 forgets the proper drive/partition order and tries to load files from a wrong one. Again, power off your computer and remove power cord. Then disconnect cables from all hard drives except the one where Windows 8 resides, connect power cord and see if boot process completes properly now."

I have a sneaking feeling that this fault has something to do with the UEFI (This is the new "To Microsoft anyway" variation of the old BIOS) - Here is a clip from an old article:

"Windows 8, when it launches in 2012, will probably be the first major OS to take extensive advantage of UEFI, with

Restore, Refresh, secure boot, and possibly more."

The bit that says "extensive" worried me the most. It meant that Microsoft was going to do something with it (UEFI) that other people had not yet tried !

You will read on this forum from people such as Alan 2273 who has done an upgrade from Vista to W8 and is very satisfied.

Another person (Mr.X ) who has just purchased a new computer with Windows 8 installed may disagree violently.

An argument, - a flame war even, may break out ! - Ecky Thump !

They may both be in the right though, for one will be using the old BIOS to boot, whilst the one with the newer machine will be using UEFI. Same operating system, - Two entirely different computing experiences. The mind boggles to think what the guy with the Home Build Computer may find lurking.

Keep your eyes open for Windows Updates, Patches, and Service Packs folks.

John.

You don't bother to read up on things a pile before you throw them at the ol' 'puter do you ?

You couldn't be more mistaken, my friend.

What does that say? That it will install C++ 2005. Does it state that it is not recommended for x reasons? Definitely not.

Am I supposed to know that C++ 2005 should not be installed alongside the 2008 version? They don't even tell us what the frack this thing is.

As for the locked drive thing, it must have probably been due to the fact that I have two separate drives, one containing Linux.

As we all know, Windows does not get along well with other OSs.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Appreciate your answer.

If you have read up on it and are determined to still come back here with even more questions, and then continue to bitch about the product, - how can I be mistaken ? :lol:

Be honest, - You are not very happy about this CDex situation are you ?

Is it the product, - or is it a Visual C++ version conflict ? You will need to know, for you will not know what to expect of software installed in the future that may require one or the other.

I and others are interested in the outcome also but cannot present your problem on another forum in the same manner, or as well as could you.

I think you need to be hearing some answers straight from the horses mouth at this stage rather than second or third hand views.

CDex Forum

I've bookmarked it now, and I will follow from today the questions that you will submit, and have just asked here, and the answers given upon that forum with interest.

Be interesting to see if it requires further development for use with Windows 8, or whether it is going to be a complete non-runner.

I am certain that an open source project would be pleased, indeed welcome any feedback, and if as you say installing CDex is causing a desktop tile and the store app to disappear in Windows 8, they would wish to very quickly resolve the situation I am sure.

If Visual C++ 2005 and Visual C++2008 are now having conflict problems within Windows 8, I can see some fun times ahead.

We will look forward upon your submission to the CDex forum to hear what they have to say on this one.

You could well be doing a lot of people a great service by volunteering your findings to the CDex Forum.

Thank you.

Hoping that you are having a good festive season.

John.