data disappearing on drives dell lx401

curtca

The laptop has 2 internal hard drives and I copied about 700 gig to d drive. After a day there was only 2 gig left. I did it again same thing. Then I replaced the drive with a brand new Toshiba 1 tb, drive and copied the data to it. The next day it was gone. I have also lost data on several attached external drives and cards. NOt only that, but suddenly the folder "program data" was gone on c drive and now I can not also manage my drives since the required data in micrososft startup ihas disappeared

I have done many virus scans with kapersky, Mcafee 2013 security suite, windows defender and spyboot. All come back clean. I have run the disk for errors - nothing. I am at a loss. I can still use most of my programs but this not an acceptable situation. Please help Thanks Curt

Hi Curt.
Yes I agree with you, this is not an acceptable situation. I would guess from the software, and the word Microsoft mentioned in your post that you are using some kind of Windows Operating System of either the 32 or 64bit variety.

If this is so. No. It is not at all usual for a Windows operating system to simply "lose" data without some sort of outside influence or interference. Primarily most operating systems designed for the home consumer are programmed to do just the opposite.

We can therefore deduce that the data loss is due to an outside influence and interference, which obviously must include any, and all end users of the computer.

I sense, and realise that there is some form of reluctance on your part to mention either the exact model of you twin hard drive laptop computer, and the operating system that it uses, - and rest assured your privacy on this matter will of course be respected.

Google will only give this much information when quoting a dell lx401 laptop as a search: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=aff-maxthon-newtab&hs=9B7&channel=t2&site=webhp&q=dell+lx401+laptop&oq=dell+lx401+laptop&gs_l=serp.12...384896.392391.0.395064.9.5.0.0.0.0.237.799.0j3j2.5.0.les;..0.0...1c.1.4.serp.HxCvg7al4og

A search of the Dell website for model lx401 returns this: lx401_zps349e53e0.jpg

Perhaps contacting Dell directly you will be able to rectify your present predicament.

(Please note that this forum would be unable to help you at all if this were a pirated operating system)

Regards.

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the quick reply, I came down with pneumonia so have not been at the computer until now.. I use windows 7 64 bit and I am the only user. Quite used to computers so i know my way around, but this baffles me. The laptop is a dell L702x. and it has worked well in the past. but now data is just disappearing and particularly baffling on d drive which is internal. I copy lots of data to it and then a bit later only have 2 or 3 gig left. Happens all the time even with different drives installed so it is not the drive. I have also run several virus programs and they dont find anything Any suggestions Curt

This is most unusual; nothing I have ever heard of. If it were on one particular disk I would guess that the drive was faulty, but on multiple internal and external drives - it simply does not make sense.

The only thing that makes sense is that "something" is deleting these files and folders. But how can you find that?

If I encountered such a problem, I would start with the Event Viewer. Anything in there that could indicate what's happening.

Look at the Task Manager; any unusual or unexplained processes?

Look at the Task Scheduler; anything unexpected in there?

If you don't find anything, the last resort would be to completely reinstall Windows.

Thanks. I did not find anything that was out of order. I checked a few things that I was uncertain of on the net. Could it be a virus in bios that is corrupting the mbr????? on the drives affected. How would I deal with that. Presumable if that is the case reinstalling windows on a new disk would not solve the problem. I have Mcafee security suite and I have run it many times It does not find anything. Thanks again Curt