DeDuplication issue or not

I have setup DeDuplication on a box which is running Windows Server 2012 DataCenter.

My issue is this (if in fact it is an issue). I am currently just testing backup and dedupe with Windows native backup as my backup tool. So what I have done is create a storage pool with 2 drives giving it a mirror setup which arrives at 1.3tb. The other drive I left alone it's showing as a 1.4tb. All that is fine and is what I expect. I run a native windows backup to my Storage Pool and it works (creates the Windows Backup folder with everything in it) and I run DeDupe against the whole drive (not just the folder) which the folder is on after this and this too works. With the files I have in there for testing I see a 53% return, fair enough. I know it's working.

My problem starts when the next backup and dedupe starts. The backup goes fine, but, the Windows Backup folder is now in the excluded folders box in DeDuplication Configuration page. When the Dedupe starts again I see my 53% start to drop to 25%-30% then further on the next DeDupe and so on until it reaches 0% i.e. it's not be deduped anymore. If I remove the Windows Backup folder from the exclusions it returns to normal i.e. it starts deduping again and I see my savings return to 50%-53%

Is this the norm? I would have expected the Windows Backup folder to be deduped again and again and not entered into the exclusions list? I mean I want this folder to be deduped indefinitely so why is it being added to the exclusions list in the configuration area?

Thanks

Welcome new member.

I think I may have found a man who knows what you are talking about. :wacko:

You can contact him with this form: http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/contact.aspx

And this is the guy: http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2012/10/08/data-deduplication-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

( Rob Waggoner. - I like him. We went to different schools together.)

Keep looking in here meantime just in case someone else has the answer.

John.

Hi John,

I asked Rob about this and he hasn't got a solution for either seems that no one knows anything about this. Next stop is Microsoft Support. He mentioned GPO but that shouldn't be an issue as I am the first to test this i.e. there should be NO GPO's against DeDupe across our domain. Unless by default there is then this is a bug.

Thanks

Hmmmm............ Just the way the pendulum swings at times my friend. Always someone like yourself coming up with a million to one shot problem that nobody else has ever encountered, - and probably for that matter never will. - Jus' The roll of the dice on those 'Ol binary numbers Eh ? - Darn 'em :)

You have left some of the readers on the forum here on a bit of a "Cliffhanger" as to whether you will actually solve the problem of whether your Windows Backup Folder should have been added to the exclusions list or not.

You seem like a genuine sort of guy (Gal ?) - So let's just follow it through with a full transcript of your question to Rob, - his reply back, and then how you tackled it with Microsoft Support to make a full story of it.

Lightning could well strike in the same place twice and maybe we will have another reader with the same problem as yourself.

Perhaps when you have the answers you would like to write up a little tutorial ?

I personally look forward to that on behalf of other readers. I have no interest whatsoever in your problem apart from trying to get people to educate themselves and be self sufficient, and of course that you solve the problem for your own satisfaction. and become educated.

We are now all looking forward to your reply to further forward our knowledge of Computer Science, especially in the area of Windows Server 2012 & DeDuplication Re:Windows Backup Folders.

A good starter would be the conversation that occured between you and Rob Waggoner. - With links just so that people are au fait with what has gone on so far.

==========================================

Having mentioned computer science it would be remiss of me to leave without mentioning the Malan Lectures, and a short introductory video.

Looking forward to your replies. John.

==========================================

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuuJ8cGcl30