roaming profile not found

First of i apologise if this is in the wrong place.

I look after the network in our family business and have run into a fault that i just cannot seem to rectify.

Basically we had a i.t admin some years ago but problems were occuring on a regular basis and the costs were mounting up. This is where i stepped in, not managing a newtork before but high computer literacy. We have a 2008 r2 server, with 6 windows xp sp3 clients, plus laptop, plus remote vpn with rdp. Since taking over this role problems have rarely occured and everything runs smooth.

Just so the scenario is clear:

- we have roaming profiles as we use different clients

- folder redirection for desktops , profiles , my documents (seperate hdd to o/s)

- many restrictions in place using group policy, ie. stop cdrom use, disable shutdown/control panel etc

- all clients are hardwired to netgear prosafe switch which feeds router also.

- sever and clients running eset smart security

The problem i have is on one newish client pc which i set up from scratch. From a fresh boot when logging on we get the dreaded 'windows cannot locate a copy of your roaming profile' message, yet, it seems to sucessfully load it. I assume this because when logging off and back on changes made are there and present on the server (for instance adding file to desktop). This only happens from initial power on, when just logging off and back on it does not show, and also from a restart it does not show. I have double checked the firewall, permissions on folders, enabled WOL to keep the nic powered incase it was to do with server losing connection with it.

I am stumped. It doesnt seem to be creating a problem as such but would be great if i could finally sort this and know what is causing it. Let me know if you require anymore information.

Many thanks to anyone that can help