Is it a worm??

draggin

I have a laptop that is running XP Professional, service pack 3 and all updates.

If I look in task manger I can see ccEvtMrg.exe running (taking about 132mb memory), checking on the Internet this file is listed as Rbot.GZ worm. Now I have run, Malwarebytes, CA Total Defence and Kaspersky Rescue disk (boot from CD) on this laptop and none of them have found anything. The web site I have checked out always have a program to remove said file but am I being a little sceptical by thinking they are just trying to push their own product?? I have checked the Avira virus database and I can't find it listed.

So have I got a nasty on the laptop, is there a ruputable program I can try to see if it can find and remove the problem

If you are running Norton Anti-Virus it is perfectly normal that ccEvtMgr.exe would be expected to be found on your computer.

If you are not running Norton Anti-Virus or any Symantec products, it just may be a nasty.

As you already have Malwarebytes installed on your computer make sure that it is completely up-to-date on the day and then run a scan in "Safe Mode"

Don't forget also that you have the ability to run "Chameleon" that is included with Malwarebytes.

if you had forgotten about this, or how to use it. Please click on the following link:

http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20872371-Use-Chameleon-to-run-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-on-infected-systems

John.

Thanks for the info John. Well after serveral other test it seem as though this file is harmless. I have since found that the file is marked as coming from CA Total Defence (why I never thoguht to check that the other night I don't know), just worrying that when you look online everything say it is a nasty