Solved-Back-up Hardware

AlanHo

I have a second Hard drive in my computer which I use for taking daily sequential back-ups of my data using a programme called Second Copy. I don't back-up programmes or system files because I have all my original software and updates/patches on CD's.

However - a disaster suffered by a friend has underlined the fact that I really need to store my back-ups away from my house if I want proper security - plus second copies of my software CD's and updates/patches.

So here is the question - what is the best media to use in terms of purchase cost, convenience and reliability. My back-up file is roughly 6 Gb.

I have been looking at USB2 external hard drives versus DVD R's burned on an internal DVD writer. The plan being to store the portable hard drive or DVD discs in a coolbox in my garden shed.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

I personally would suggest getting a DVD-RW drive which I believe I've seen as low as £150.

Are you going to use the same program, or not? You could probably compress that 6gb into something smaller, but whether you could get it to a 4.7gb DVD-RW disk (these would be cheeper in the long run, you'd only really need one disk in theory) I'm not sure.

Redhat

I was leaning in the direction of DVD when I posted - you kinda tipped the balance and I have ordered an LG multi format drive for the princely sum of £133 delivered. I chose this unit because it writes all CD and DVD formats including DVD-RAM which I will use for data storage.