Can't access shared network folders w/o password

rajmahid

Help! I'm running XP-SP3 and am trying to directly stream music folders to a new streaming BD player via my streaming network -- which was found and configured during setup of the unit.

The network works fine; I can stream using 3rd party software (JRiver) but when I attempt to directly access shared folders that are visiblel (with all files shown), I'm asked for a username and password. I don't know what username and p/w it's asking for because I boot up into Windows without a password -- none was set up during installation -- and the only username is 'user' -- which is the only admin/user, no guests

I've searched the topic, but can't seem to find any clear solution. My lack of familiarity with network lingo probably doesn't help either.

I'd be grateful if someone could walk me through accessing my shared folders on the BD network unit with this mysterious username/password requirement?

Thanks!

when I attempt to directly access shared folders that are visiblel (with all files shown), I'm asked for a username and password.

Probably the userid/password of the folder's owner.

But, but...I AM the folder's owner -- as well as the ONLY user of this PC with full admin rights.

What are the exact permissions of that folder?

Can you post a screenshot of that user/pw prompt?

The only permission options I can determine: right click on folder or folders, goto tab/Sharing and check "Share this folder on the network" (see attached screenshot).

The folder(s) show up in my streaming Oppo BD player (with ethernet connection from router) but when I try to open them, I get that dreaded username/password box. Very frustrating...I haven't found a solution in my google searches these past few days.

Once again, I can successfully stream my music to the unit by 'pushing' music content via JRiver controller software and also Foobar2000. But direct access has ben stymied.

EDIT: This is probably a non-issue, stumping even the most adept M$ fans...but I found a small freeware DLNA compliant media server that does exactly what I want to do: push music/movie files to my Oppo player from my pc & external hard drives: oShare. http://sourceforge.net/projects/oshare. It's a superb solution...and I no longer have to hassle with M$ 'sharing' difficulties. Hurray!!

post-24811-0-50258700-1369230080_thumb.j

• 5 months later...