Movie: Voices too quiet. Effects too loud

Kaega

This isn't directly a Windows issue but I thought I might find a solution here none the less.

When watching any videos the voices are always really quiet compared to the effects and music. Our upstairs neighbours complain when we make "too much noise". When we watch a movie however we continuously have to turn up the volume when people are talking, and then turn it back down when the effects come on.

We reduced the bass but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there possibly something I can change in the equalizer or other area to make the voices more defined? Any ideas would be welcome.

This never seems to occur with the old films, it seems to be a modern thing. Also the diction today is terrible, and we find difficulty in hearing exactly whet the actors are saying, they seem to mumble. Our solution is to switch on the sub titles.