Umlaut duplicating

scrubx

Hi!

Now I don't know if this is the right forum to post this but I'm really desperate for an answer and I don't know what could possibly cause the problem.

My colleague at work is working as reference purchasing officer and while she's working mainly with german customers it's mandatory for her to type the reports in German language. So as the title goes she's having some strange problem causing umlauts to duplicate before she even enters the desired letter. It looks something like this [ ¨¨a] instead of just [ä]. Now this is very annoying as she now has to switch from Slovenian keyboard layout to German layout each time she want's to type in a report. It's not that it's hard for her to do so but it's just not the solution. Atleast not a long-term one. I've tried using several different keyboards, ps2 and USB ones with no results. I've even tried uninstalling keyboard drivers and again with no success. Language and regional settings also looks fine. While I could just give her a new PC to work with, this would mean I'd need to move all her files on a network drive and setup all the programs and settings she had. This is very time consuming and I can't afford to bother her because she's a very busy person.

She's using windows xp sp3 OS and everything worked fine couple of days ago, then it just suddently stopped working correctly. If anyone of you ever encountered the same problem and could fix this or atleast knows what is causing this strange error, help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Scrubx

My question is: how do you enter the umlauted character? It must be some unusual way, so that the diaeresis and the actual character become separated.

I don't have a German keyboard, and when I need to enter an umlauted or otherwise accented character, I either use the character map, or direct input like Alt+0228 (ä), etc. See http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html for a full list of Alt key codes.