XP won't download security update

Old XP

I downloaded the link you posted, but when I opened it, I got this message:

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

I am going to attempt to back up and restore the registry via

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756#method1

and then reregister the Windows Installer via

support.microsoft.com/kb/315346#method1

I do hope you'll revisit this thread to check on my success or.............. Well, I'm going to stay positive.

Since my last post I've uninstalled/reinstalled SP3 resulting in 'some' updates installing. To someone who knows nothing about computers, like myself, it appears that Windows Installer is functioning, at least to some degree. However, 123 updates (yes, one hundred twenty three, at this point anyway) failed to install.

This all appears to be far beyond my ability to grasp and remedy. I'm considering just buying a new computer and dedicating this one to 'offline only' use, since MS stops providing security updates for XP in only a few months anyway.

Which update is it ?

After uninstall/reinstall of SP3, the yellow shield in systray shows updates are ready. 3 times I've clicked it, downloaded KB2863239 and, restarted the computer after being notified the install was 'completed'. However, it continues to show the same update ready/available for install. WT???

You are not the only one that this is happening to. In fact, this happens with Microsoft updates every few months, that the updater does not correctly identify updates that have already been installed.

My suggestion: ignore it for now until Microsoft issues a fix.

Or you can try the manual fixes that are offered in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/october-2013-update-kb2863239-kb2862330-kb2862335/1ab9149e-3246-487e-a836-fb5bbc3ed56c