Window 7, wan miniports and Cisco VPN problem

xendistar

I have a Lenovo PC that is running Windows 7 Professional (32bit). As I work from home from time to time I have Cisco VPN Client installed so that I can connect to the company IT system. Last week the VPN would connect but I could not get any traffic to cross the link, I know it was not a link\VPN issue as I was able to make a VPN connection using my XP PC and connect and work on the company IT system without a problem.

When I checked Device Manager on my windows 7 PC under network adapters I noticed I had the yellow excalamtion mark on against them (see attached picture). I have tried to unistall them and update the drivers but neither has any affect on the wan ports.

I uninstalled the Cisco VPN and reinstalled hoping it was connected to the wan port issue but it made no difference to the wan ports. But now when I start Cisco VPN I get an error and if I check the Cisco logs I have the following error

Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0410
Copyright © 1998-2010 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Client Type(s): Windows, WinNT
Running on: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Config file directory: C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\

1      09:20:51.929  10/28/13  Sev=Warning/2    CVPND/0xE3400003
Function CreateFile failed with an error code of 0x00000002(DRVIFACE:772)

And this error is repeated over and over for as long as I keep the Cisco VPN client open

I have checked the Lenovo web site to see if there are any chipset drivers\network drivers etc to download and reinstall\update but there are not drivers available. I have reinstalled the Network card drivers but that made no difference

Can anybody advise what I need to do to resolve these issues (short of a OS reinstall)??

Regards

Tim

post-25480-0-40585700-1382951972_thumb.j

OK I think I have resolved it after a lots of googling I found this web page

http://oyam.ca/blog/2011/11/windows-miniports.html

This tell you how to delete the old Wan Mini ports and how to install the new ones. One thing to note, you have to download the "Windows Driver Kit" to get the devcon.exe file, unfortunately it is a 680mb ISO image download and I had to install it on my PC as I was unable to find where to extract devcon.exe from. But following the rest of the instructions I was able to reinstall the wan miniports.

Having said that, I no longer have Wan Miniports listed in Device manager, they must have been connected to the Cisco VPN Client problem as I can now get the VPN up and traffic crossing thre link. One things though is I dont have any Wan Mini ports listed in Device manager, not sure why??

Tim