My mouse (laptop touchpad) keeps freezing on startup. Windows 8.1

I have a cheap and cheerful laptop a medion akoya only a few months old, it is only ever used as a backup for family photos. I updated to windows 8.1 in the last day or two and now my mouse pointer keeps freezing on startup and will not unfreeze after any period of time.

It only does this on my profile not the guest account. I have ran the hardware and devices troubleshoot and checked if the driver needs updating, but there isn't a problem with either.

Can someone please help?

Microsoft has several valid reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 8.1, which is free if you already own Windows 8. However, there's a known issue that might give some pause for thought before clicking through in the Windows Store. There have been complaints of mouse problems after applying the Windows 8.1 update, , though Microsoft confirmed there are other potential quirks. Acknowledging the problem, Microsoft says it's also actively investigating the issues and working on a patch."

Microsoft are releasing Win 8.1 update 1 today, it might be worth installing that before you try anything else to see if it cures your problem.

What make is your mouse and is it USB or WiFi ?.

Microsoft has several valid reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 8.1, which is free if you already own Windows 8. However, there's a known issue that might give some pause for thought before clicking through in the Windows Store. There have been complaints of mouse problems after applying the Windows 8.1 update, , though Microsoft confirmed there are other potential quirks. Acknowledging the problem, Microsoft says it's also actively investigating the issues and working on a patch."

Microsoft are releasing Win 8.1 update 1 today, it might be worth installing that before you try anything else to see if it cures your problem.

What make is your mouse and is it USB or WiFi ?.

My laptop installed the updates itself, and it already installed windows 8.1, I'm not actually sure what make and model it is, it's a touchpad i'm using on the laptop.

I've included a print screen to show that i'm already running windows 8.1.

post-26848-0-18398800-1396976472_thumb.p

The update I was on about only came out today, (8th April), I have just installed it on two laptops.

This update is extra to the 8.1 update and is 880mb's, and includes some fixes for mouse problems.

If that does not solve the problem can you please answer my questions about what your make of mouse is and if it is wired, (USB) or wireless , (WiFi).

The update I was on about only came out today, (8th April), I have just installed it on two laptops.

This update is extra to the 8.1 update and is 880mb's, and includes some fixes for mouse problems.

If that does not solve the problem can you please answer my questions about what your make of mouse is and if it is wired, (USB) or wireless , (WiFi).

Oh I see what you mean, I've just checked for another update to download the extra like you said but it says no further updates for windows 8.1.

I don't have an external mouse it's a touchpad so I'm not sure how to find that information, however on the settings it says its "Manufacturer: synaptics, Location: plugged into PS/2 mouse port, Device status: this device is working properly" if that's what you need?