Swapping windows

I've got probably a very stupid question, but i'm not very good with any of this and id rather ask than do something irreversable....

I have a dell desktop pc, just over 6 years old and a dell laptop, just over 4 years old. Harware vise, they are pretty much the same.

The desktop runs vista and recently i have been having issues with it (wouldnt start properly, couldnt find problems and still wouldnt start and opens in what i can only describe as a windows 95 looking style where only the administrator can log in).

My laptop runs windows 7 and cames with the standard dell operating system disc.

Is there any reason why i cant stick the disc in my desktop and install windows 7 on there. The desktop is virus free, so i would look to use an upgrade option and keep all my files?

Thanks in advance!

1. Your desktop is starting in "Safe Mode" http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/p/safe-mode.htm

2. In theory you could install Windows 7 on it, but you would need to be able to find any non-Windows drivers for the motherboard.

However, if you do install Windows 7 on it you will need to obtain a fresh license for it, as the laptop license cannot be used on 2 machines at the same time.

Why not just return your Vista desktop to its original factory settings, and update it - this should hopefully cure your problems - if they are software rather than hardware related.