Internal Hard Drive Clicking Sound

Duc

I am hearing one of my hard drives clicking. It is not all the time and last anywhere between 1-3 minutes and it stops. Just once a day maybe once every other day it's happening. I don't know which hard drive is causing it since I have 7 currently installed. I can rule out one of them since it is a SSD.

Without having to open the pc and connect one at a time and wait to see which one is making the sound, is there a tool or software I can run? I've tried HD Tune Pro and ran several of it's test, but I can't replicated the sound. My drives are stacked flat, one on top of another with spaces in between towards the front of the case.

Right now, I can access all drives. The clicking occurs when the pc is at idle. Meaning I am not by the pc while it is on.

Hoping to find the cause and back the drive up before it's too late.

HD clicking is bad; it is most likely the beginning of the end.

What I would do in your situation:

1. check the Event Viewer if it gives you any indication of what drive is causing it

2. back up everything that is essential

3. check your drives' manufacturer's site for HD testing tools

Note that both backup and HD testing can actually bring on the disk's final demise.