Outlook IMAP Stopped Working

digler

As the title suggests Outlook has stopped working for my email accounts using IMAP

I noticed this some months ago and could not get it to work and reverted to POP3 settings. However I would like to use the features of IMAP and cant get it to work. On my ipods and iphones I can synchronize the emails but with outlook I cant.

I have tried this with various providers and only POP3 will work.

Any suggestions on why this suddenly stopped or how to fix?

I use Gmail, iinet and icloud email accounts

Since it is specific to your home computer, I wonder if it could be connected with your profile?

Maybe try creating a new one:

https://support.office.com/en-in/article/Create-an-Outlook-profile-f544c1ba-3352-4b3b-be0b-8d42a540459d?ui=en-US&rs=en-IN&ad=IN

Good illustrative info here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/how-to-create-a-new-profile/

I have downloaded Thunderbird email client and tried to access the email account using IMAP but this also fails.

I thought it was an Outlook 2013 problem but Thunderbird is the same.

My apple devices connect and operate using IMAP settings fine on the wireless network only. Could it be some sort of firewall or router issue with my connection??

Outlook or Thunderbird cant connect to the email client server using autodetect when I try to add an account or when I manually put in the IMAP settings for the email account based on the providers recommended settings. It does send a test message which I can see when I connect via webmail.

It works fine when I use POP3 settings.

I have 2 accounts on the same outlook that only use POP3. I have other users on windows that I have tried a fresh start and all are the same.

I can add an account in Outlook 2013 at work and it autodetects the settings and just works.

The issue happened quite a few months ago, it was working fine but one day it stopped and after spending a lot of time trying to fix it and re installing outlook I changed it to POP3.

Its weird that if affects Thunderbird as well but my apple devices are OK. I have turned off my router firewall and windows firewall as well as my antivirus software. I have not tried another computer on outlook to access the account which I may be able to do on an old laptop with XP and outlook 2010

Thanks Irene.

I have looked at the article and tried to adjust the settings in Outlook but no change. I have looked for the updates but these were not shown as installed.

My office is actually Office 2013 professional plus, I cant see updates in the account of office so i cant revert back to a previous build as its not listed there.

I have tried to connect on another Laptop using XP and Outlook 2007 with no issues at all.

I have also tried another email client Opera which also does not work with IMAP same as Thunderbird.

So it seems that it is something with my machine or settings maybe not necessarily with Outlook 2013 unless Opera and Thunderbird share some of the same settings???

Im running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and Office professional plus 2013

I have looked at the article and tried to adjust the settings in Outlook but no change. I have looked for the updates but these were not shown as installed.

My office is actually Office 2013 professional plus, I cant see updates in the account of office so i cant revert back to a previous build as its not listed there.

Im running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and Office professional plus 2013

Any updates for 'Office' will apear by navigating as below:

post-5852-0-47656400-1420882994_thumb.pn

post-5852-0-66256900-1420883050_thumb.pn

To see your version of Office:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/office-2013-365-update/

post-5852-0-78324800-1420883874_thumb.pn

I have checked the installed updates via the control panel and the two updates associated with issues are not listed.

For the version number I do not have the Office Updates box highlighted in the attached picture only "About" box but I can see the version number after clicking on About which is 15.0.4675.1000.

I cant see how I can update the version with out the Office Update selection?

I have checked the installed updates via the control panel and the two updates associated with issues are not listed.
For the version number I do not have the Office Updates box highlighted in the attached picture only "About" box but I can see the version number after clicking on About which is 15.0.4675.1000.

Try revealing the hidden updates:

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/562

This link explains about why you have or not have the Update in Office:

http://www.outlook-apps.com/update-outlook-2013/

Please note: More information in the link above.

What Outlook 2013 version do you actually use?

Well, if you are using Outlook 2013 and you are asked about your Outlook version, you will probably answer simply with “Outlook 2013″, right? Or maybe you would say “Outlook 2013 for Office 365″. Actually, from an Outlook 2013 update perspective, Microsoft separate Office / Outlook 2013 in two other groups:

Office 2013 installed through the new “Click to Run” method (installed by clicking on the download /install link provided in your Microsoft account);

Office 2013 installed from a disk / by running the MSI installer (which can also be obtained from your Microsoft account, by clicking on the “Install from a disk”).

To identify which one of them you are using, simply open Outlook 2013, go to File -> Office Account and look under the Product Information area: if there is an “Update Options” button, then you have the “Click to run” Office 2013 version.

So, here is a screenshot of the Product Information area of a “Click to run” installation:

Outlook2013-click-to-run.png

And here is a screenshot of the Product Information area of a disk / MSI installation of Office / Outlook 2013:

Outlook-2013-version.png

As you can see from the above screenshots, the Update options are simply NOT available in the disk / MSI installation! There is no mistake from Microsoft, in fact it’s exactly how they wanted it to be. As a result, when you are looking to update Office 2013, you must be aware of its installation method so you can choose the proper update way.

You can also check your update settings like this:

https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Keep-your-computer-updated-by-using-Microsoft-Update-2ab296f3-7f03-43a2-8e50-46de917611c5

Thanks Irene.

After all that and checking, the problem was still there. I then noticed someone was having the same problem with auto discover and it turned out it was a feature in their anitivirus software. I checked mine and the IMAP scanner port was fixed at 143. Unticking this has fixed the problem.

Not sure why when I disabled the antivirus and firewall it did not work? Or this problem appeared after it was working??

Anyway all is good. Thanks for your help