Kazaa To End Free Music?

Kazaa has thrown its weight behind a plan to start billing song swappers for their music downloads.

The proposal, which could finally end the days of the free lunch for millions of music fans (with approx 5 million simultaneous users are logged into its network at any time), has been put to big US record labels at the same time as a new legitimate version of the former file-swapping giant Napster is launched in the US.

The idea is to phase in a billing mechanism for peer to peer networks, such as Kazaa and Morpheus, that allow users to copy music directly from each other's hard drives.

Initially payments would be by credit card, but in the future downloads would be automatically detected and a charge added to the monthly internet service provider bill.

Kazaa now hopes the music industry will forget past grievances and tap into the cleaned up versions of the networks that already have millions of users, rather than build their own networks from scratch.

Nikki Hemming, the Sydney-based chief executive of Sharman Networks, which runs Kazaa, said the business model offered "great hope for the entertainment industry".

Marty Lafferty, president of the Distributed Computing Industry Association. predictes that within four years of the big record labels adopting the plan, online music sales would outperform traditional offline sales. "The whole effort here is to go where the consumers are, to convert all that energy to selling licensed music" Marty says. By that time, Marty forecasts that 1.8 billion licensed tracks would be downloaded a month, worth more than $1 billion a month in revenue

source: Neowin

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

This is really so irrelevant.

When Napster was shut down,everyone shifted to Audiogalaxy,when Audiogalaxy was shut down they moved to kazaa,*********,*****,********.

I can't name,names as they are all still running. ;)

When kazaa starts charging they'll all rush off to use music-blagger*...the next gen P2P software,etc.

I've never personally used Kazaa...It's full of spyware apparently...I prefer **********.

Cheers.

Shirl.

* I made "music-blagger" up...please don't try to download it :D