Any Win7 software to detect mouse/keyboard freeze and fix it?

Amby19

I have an extremely frustrating problem: My 64-bit Win7 Pro SP1 system keeps running fine for hours, as long as I'm frequently interacting with it. But when I start a disk-intensive application that needs to run for 6-10 hours, when the task is about 90% complete, the system usually hangs/freezes (i.e., the mouse and keyboard do not respond)!

I assure you I have followed several people's advice and have reduced the number of installed apps and drivers, have run extensive CPU & RAM diagnostics, re-seated boards, run multiple anti-malware tools, registry checkers, temperature monitors, etc, etc, etc -- but the problem never goes away.

What I'm looking for (and I realize I'm asking for a lot!) is a utility that monitors the OS -- apps, services, drivers, etc -- and can detect when a freeze/hang is about to happen and then takes whatever actions that are possible. The idea is that it might either prevent the freeze or reset the keyboard/mouse drivers or do SOMETHING that would allow me to access a process manager (such as Process Hacker or the like). That way, at least I have a fighting chance to correct the problem without rebooting and starting all over again! :banghead:

BTW, Resplendence Software provides a freeware goodie named "AntiFreeze", but even assuming it works under Win7 (there's contradictory info, so I've asked for a clarification), it the keyboard is inactive or ignored, it does no good at all.

Does anyone know of anything like that?

Thanks!

As many of you are aware, disk device drivers -- and applications that need special access to disk I/O -- include driver filters. You can see them easily using AutoRuns (MUST be v13.4 or later). First, move to the "Everything" tab, then in the search box at the top labeled "Filter" (coincidentally), enter the word "filter". I've attached a screenshot showing the filter list from a different computer than the one in question: post-19491-0-43418200-1442698005_thumb.p

Although not all of the filters in that screenshot are for disk drivers, the overwhelming majority are! Note that AutoRuns shows ALL the filters on the system, not just disk driver filters. For example, it will also list all the audio/video filters associated with all the codecs you have installed, as well as some other types of filters. The list shown in the screenshot are all those listed under the heading HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.

SO, what filter was it that was causing the hang after several hours? I had to try them one by one, but I had a hunch about which were the most likely ones, so I only had to test 3 of them by trial and error before I found the culprit. It was: SDDisk2K, the SecureDoc Disk Encryption Filter.

I had hoped that I could simply use AutoRuns to disable that filter, but after trying that the system would crash during boot. So I was forced to uninstall SecureDoc completely to get it to work. After which, the multi-hour process completed successfully.

Problem solved.