• K-Meleon
    • MSN Explorer
    • myIE Web Browser
    • Opera
    • Mozilla
    • Phoenix
    • SlimBrowser

Worf

I like Opera for a number of reasons and have done for quite some time.

It's built in pop up stopper is a gem and all browsers should have something similar as far as I am concerned.

It's also a very fast program to use, even on older machines with lower spec hardware.

One of the problems with IE is that it is deeply embedded into the Windows Explorer Shell (actually, it is part of it) so when you call the program from a shortcut it takes an age to load up because it drags all kinds of unnecessary features with it. This also makes it slower when launching new windows and for browsing in general, but many people don't notice this.

Enter Opera et al, that runs as a standalone program using some of the Windows platform to interact with, rather than dragging it kicking and screaming with it when you launch the program. Comparatively, its fast to launch and fast to use, although I'm not such a performance freak that I'm chasing every geeky cycle I can eke out of my machines.

Favourites management is also better, in my opinion, and there are other features on a security level that are quite nice too.

As I said, IE gets my vote for being the only one that can handle such a variety of complex code, nested tables, JavaScripts and other languages far more efficiently than anything else, but I still prefer Opera on a personal level.

Regards

Taran

Taran

I've just installed Netscape 7.01 and you think IE is slow in opening. The splash screen for Netscape seems to stay there for an eternity and then it finally opens. I did do a custom install aswell because I didn't want all the messenger and email rubbish but its still no faster.

I couldn't get on with Opera, mind you it was the 7.02 Beta 2 version. As you say although it loaded quickly I found that when opening your favourites up if you have a folder with a lot of links in it would obliterate the other favourites so you had to keep closing down the favourites menu and reopening to get what you want. Also I wasn't very keen on the NO COPY and paste of URL's when you highlight and right click a link that isn't linkable the only way I found of doing it was to highlight a link then go to the edit menu and copy and paste from there. I don't know if this is a quirk of the Beta 2 version as I had not used Opera before?

worf

Netscape is normally far faster than IE, obviously depending on the way it has been installed and configured, not to mention the underlying hardware it is used on. It has some really nice features too. Check out the smart updating search list links. If you get a list of links from a Google search, each time you visit one it is dropped from the list of links to visit, all the others move up a space and the remainder of the list is updated with new entries. Nice. They seem to have got the browser back on track with version 7 and over, having completely lost the plot with version 6 and all the dot releases leading up to 7.

I'd also steer well clear of beta versions of browsers. With the exception of the MS beta testing program I don't play with many beta software products, and I never bother with beta versions of browsers. There are just too many of them and the dot releases are too frequent to warrant spending any great length of time on, unless a client has specific intentions of using a certain browser in the near future at its point of final release.

The bottom line is that unless you have certain specific requirements, are dead against all things M****soft (in which case you wouldn't be playing with alternative browsers, you'd be using alternative operating system software instead) or have the time to spend on testing different browsers, IE still represents the best combination of features and system stability.

IE is also a network managers dream (compared to other browsers). It would be a brave person who intended to roll out any other browser over a busy network.

Taran

Taran,

Yea, I might have to spend some time playing around with Netscape if you say its supposed to be faster than IE. I would agree its far faster in loading web pages etc but when it comes to initially opening the browser I could have opened and closed IE about four times before Netscape has opened. As you say it may be the way I have it configured. I suppose its one of those things, you use what your happy with and at the moment its IE.

definitely IE

Have tried various flavours of Netscape from 4.0 up to 7.1 but still come back to IE as easier to use

Tried Opera

Both NN7 & Opera crash my computer on lots of sites, something that doesn't happen with IE

I only use them to check on problems in the sites I build

Derek

:D Hello Everyone!

I have just recently begun using Opera 6.05 again. My primary browser has been IE 5.5 but I suspect it has become corrupted somehow because it works very, very slow no matter what I try to do with it. This began happening after my Windows Explorer GDI.exe crashed because of a conflict with the fonts of another application. IE has greater versatility but it is (even on a good day) much slower than Opera. How many "bells and whistles" do I need anyway? So far it is working very well.

As a little sidenote: Combine any good ad-blocking app with SpywareBlaster 2.01 to get rid of Opera's banner ads! Any ads using ActiveX will be unable to load onto your PC. (SpywareBlaster is available at Wilders Javacool Forums and at the Gladiator Forums--link below in my signature. Look for the ActiveX, Spyware and Dialers Forum.)

Best regards from Larry :)

I must be doing something wrong here. I don't seem to get the system crashes I keep hearing about when playing with browsers. I get the odd small glitch here and there, but never a full on all out crash.

I'd never considered using a third party solution for blocking Opera's adverts either. I just bought it (old fashioned of me I know).

99% of the time use IE, Opera if I need to send an email via a webpage[i don't use Outlook/Outlook Express. Mozilla if I'm in my extreme Speedos OS.IE may be resource hungry or whatever but I haven't been able to get comfortable using Opera.[in fact prefer Mozilla to Opera].