2nd Monitor stuck in "out of range" setting

Lurkerguy

Hi,  I'm working on getting the resolution on my external monitor (I'm using a laptop).  I had the monitor setting set to show "2nd screen only" and then mistakenly set the 2nd screen to a resolution that is "out of range".  So, the result of this that I'm struggling with is- I can only adjust the resolution, or even see anything besides the "out of range" error message, when extending or duplicating the main laptop screen.  When I set my computer to use the 2nd screen only I get the error message "out of range" and it seems that I am unable to change the resolution setting for the "2nd monitor only" setting. 

Again- I plug in my VGA for the 2nd monitor and the main laptop monitor goes off and the second monitor displays only the "out of range hz" message.  I can then only get the 2nd monitor to work by duplicating or extending the main laptop screen.  I attempt to change the resolution of the 2nd screen and the changes seem to be only for that "extended" or "duplicated" screen setting.  It seems that using the "2nd screen only" monitor setting is stuck on a "out of range" setting that can only be changed in "2nd screen only" mode, and when I am in 2nd screen only mode I am unable to use the screen. 

I'm thinking there might be a safe mode maneuver perhaps? 

Thanks in advance!

Just a wild idea - in Device Manager - if you can see the second monitor under "Display adapters" - try uninstalling it and re-booting ?

Alternatively re-booting in Safe Mode may cause it to reset to Native Resolution ?