raid

Guest ellas

anyone know about raid,I install my o/s in error on the normal IDE,I bought 2 h/drives and with the 3 thought I could use raid,I had set the disc with o/s as first boot in raid bios,anyway it keep asking for the boot cd so it was'nt seeing xp,tried it with o/s h/drive on normal IDE other 2 in raid still kept asking for boot,theres s/ware in xp but cant get to it,put xp disc on normal IDE and no probs booting,so my guess is it one or the other,is that right,and if I want to use raid will have to re-install xp.

post-49-1067021866.jpg

boris gave this answer in a pm

Windows treats RAID drives -as devices different from standard hard drives. If you don't explicitly tell the BIOS you're trying to boot off the RAID array, then the system will try to boot off any IDE hard drive, or some other boot device (eg, the floppy drive). You'll find yourself staring at a screen that reads "Please insert bootable media", or words to that effect.

Most system BIOS setup screens have a boot order setup option, where you specify whether or not the controller chip is active, and perhaps whether it's in single drive mode or RAID mode.

After this configuration step, you then have to tell the system to actually boot from the RAID device. Note that there's no requirement to boot from the array -- you might want the RAID array to be your secondary drive. But if you do want to boot from the RAID array you created, it's not enough to tell the system you want to make the drive active. You need to make the array the default boot device.

Once this step is done, the final step is to install the drivers.

If you're setting up Windows for the first time, installing under Windows 2000 or Windows XP is pretty straightforward. The one key point here is that you need to have a floppy disc available with the RAID drivers. When you see the Windows setup screen start to appear, press F6 to install a SCSI or other storage driver. Then, you'll get to a screen that asks for the floppy. Insert the floppy and press the "S" key. The driver will be read from the floppy. At that point, hit ENTER and proceed normally through the setup process.

If you're bringing up an array on an existing Windows installation, you need to do a two-step. You might be doing this because your system already has RAID on the motherboard, and you've finally decided to use it. If you plan on bringing up the RAID array as a non-boot volume, it's easy. Just configure the RAID array, boot into Windows and install the driver from the driver floppy or CD during the device autodetection process. Note that you can do this before or after configuring the array, but it's easiest when you first enable the RAID controller, as Windows will autodetect the device.

If you want the array to be the boot volume, begin with your existing Windows installation, which likely exists on a single hard drive. Activate the RAID controller, then install the driver. At that point, back up the entire partition with a utility such as Norton Ghost or PowerQuest's Drive Image. You can back it up onto a CD-R disc or onto a secondary hard drive (but not a USB or FireWire drive -- you can't see them from DOS, and you need to restore the backed-up partition from DOS).

Set up the RAID hardware, then boot from the DOS floppy with the partition backup application. Restore the partition onto the RAID array, then boot. You should be able to boot. If not, you may end up either in an endless reboot cycle, or facing a screen that tells you it can't boot from the device. Don't panic. You can still do a recovery setup.

Boot off the Windows CD, then proceed through setup as normal, including the "press F6 to install a storage driver" option, until you get to the screen that asks you which partition to install onto. (Note: do not select the first "recovery console" option you see -- it's not what you want to do). Select the RAID volume, which already has Windows on it by now -- you just couldn't boot into it. Select the recovery setup option. Windows will install itself, but your applications and data will still be available when you boot.

Not sure where this article was from but must have been the clearest info I could find when I was looking at RAID some time ago. - Boris

Guest Grim Reaper
What do you need all that storage space for anyway? to keep all your media player testing material on??  :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

now, now........ellas doesnt test his media player......