Cream Roasted Swede Soup

Irene

I needed something today to take my mind off the snowy winter weather, so since I had a Swede in the fridge in the veg tray, I decided to make some soup - here is the recipe which I used:

Cream roasted swede soup

image.png   Serves 4

Preparation time: less than 30 mins

Cooking time:  30 mins to 1 hour

Ingredients

1 swede, peeled and cut into cubes

3 tbsp olive oil

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 onion, finely chopped

2 carrots, finely sliced

2 stalks celery, finely sliced

1 clove garlic, crushed

6 stalks fresh thyme, leaves only

1.25 litres/2 pints vegetable stock

142ml/5fl oz. carton single cream

fresh thyme leaves to garnish

Method

1.    Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

2.    Place the cubes of swede in a roasting tray.  Drizzle over two tablespoons of the olive oil and season.

3.    Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally.

4.    Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, stir in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and thyme leaves and fry for 4-5 minutes until softened but not browned.

5.    Add the roasted swede to the pan and pour over the stock.

6.    Bring gently to the boil, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

7.    Purée the soup in a food processor or liquidiser until completely smooth.  Pass through a sieve for an extra fine texture if preferred.

8.    Transfer the soup back to a clean saucepan.  Stir in most of the cream, reserving some for garnishing.  Gently heat through and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

9.    Serve in warm bowls or a soup tureen and garnish with a swirl of cream, some fresh thyme leaves and freshly ground black pepper.