resolved - primery ide channel done a runner

TBH1

Just wopped this on pca site so apologies to all who have seen it there.

On powering my PC up this morning I had a major problem - - -boot up is saying there is nothing on the primary ide channel ( my 2 hard drives) . Have changed the power supply to them, also tried them in the secondery ide channel (normally cd drives) - - and they still ain't found. Any ideas here - - -they were working fine yesterday and PC had not been moved/disturbed.

I have pluggeg the dvd and cdrw into the primary channel and system picks them up - I have plugged the hard drives in the secondery and it doesn't. I have swapped cable from dvd/cdrw to hard disks and still same error.

Any help here greatly appreciated.

Guest Grim Reaper

and all other devices are recognised with the same cable and on the same channel......

we need to rule out either the channel or the hard drives....find out which has failed.

do you have another hdd that you could try or could you try your HDD's in another pc?

right - - -we're getting somewhere now - -have tried the 2nd hard drive as master again (this time with jumper settingd correct) and system picks it up - - - cannot boot from it but at least gives me some idea whats wrong. If I do have a problem with the master drive, then I do really have a problem - - -its less then 6 months old but will be unable to take back to the shop as I had a small 'altercation' sometime back with a member of staff there.

Please tell me it ain't gonna be permanent master hard disk problem !!! Please please please tell me you know how to fix this !!!!!

:wacko:

Guest Grim Reaper

ok, so what when you plug the non working hard drive into another pc?? does it get picked up?

if it is the HDD then you may get some joy from the manufacturers warranty!

have plugged the non-working one in as slave (correct jumper settings) and have just tried running the Drive Fitness Test which I downloaded sometime ago - - -it is not detected.

I no longer have another PC to try it in - - -am currently using my works laptop.

Guest Grim Reaper

the next logical step is to try it in another computer....a friends perhaps?

if not, try the drive manufacturers website...i know that maxtor have a section where you can check the warranty status and arrange an RMA, not sure about other manufacturers, but it is always worth a look.

You firstly need to ascertain that the drive is a total write off!!

I notice that here you have posted about your noisy psu....have you possibly had a power surge?? that could have caused a damaged PSU and HDD.

I don't believe we have had a power-surge - - - I noticed last time I booted up, maybe 30 minutes ago, the noise was back to normal.

Gonna wop this disc out and toddle over to my brothers house and try it in there, but I now believe it id buggered. Gonna have a look around for hitachi/IBM site for advice.

Thanks for your input here, Lord Lucan - - - -I never did belive the papers :D

on further investigation, I now believe that the drive isn't spinning, no mtter what power supply I use; certainly doesn't sound like the other one when I do the old 'listening at the screwdriver' technique.

Still looking hrough the hsg site - - - but if it is a power problem, will they repair it or replace it ? And if the latter, can I be sure that data on the 'bad' one will be destroyed?

Lord Lucan - " was my data backed up - - -?" ha ha - - - - - :D

nice one mate - - - :(

However, if you remember a thread of mine from a few months ago re the disappearing secondary drive after w98se re-install, I will be back on this forum toot-sweet - - - and looking for Mr M - - -by the way, where is he ???

I think I'm doing something fundamentally wrong somewhere; just wopped in a 2gb hard disk, just to get up and running whilst waiting for the new disc to arrive and my 2nd hard disc as now done a runner - - -just like after my last re-install. BIOS sees it, fdisk sees it and device manager sees it - - but windows doesn't.

Gonna have a look through the thread of when this happened last time - - -but will wait til tomorrow.