resolved - primery ide channel done a runner

TBH1

Guest Grim Reaper

just a possibility but are all the drivers for the IDE channels ok?

try reinstalling the latest drivers for your chipset - it may have an effect or maybe not - anything is worth a try at this point!!

Right - - disconnected d drive ( the missing one), fdisked c (the temperary 2gb one) and formatted.

Installed w98se onto c drive, powered down and reconnected d drive.

Booted up and - - - - - still no d drive !!!

Again, messed about with testdisk4.4 utility and hey-presto - - - missing drive is no longer missing.

What does bother me is that this as happened to me 2 times - - - am I missing something ????

Lord Lucan - - pardon my ignorance but I don't know what you mean, chip-set drivers . My motherboard was up to date, as old as it is, this was checked last time I had this problem.

I know I'm gonna get this problem when I get my new HD but cannot understand why others don't get this problem - - - -I can't be the only one with more than one disc and a failing primary / master right ????

Guest Grim Reaper

the main purpose of a motherboard is to link all the bits together and ensure that they speak the same language to each other.

In order to do this they need the correct drivers. The two main motherboard chipsets are made by Via and Intel although there are other makers about, they are not as common (SIS being one). The HDD's and CD drives are controlled by the IDE Bus, this is part of the mobo chipset and therefore needs drivers. Obviously companies such as via and intel update their drivers all the time in order to enhance performance and iron out any bugs that may have appeared. Therefore it is always best to check for driver updates every now and then.

• 3 weeks later...

And finally - - - got a new disc back from hitachi, wopped it back in, fdisked and formatted and - - - - - both drives are there !!!! I think maybe the problems I had been having reference the dis-appearing d drive was to do with goback; I had not reinstalled this whilst using this 'borrowed' 2 gb drive - -also, when re-installing yesterday (goback), it came up with some kind of message saying it had found some goback file or other (must learn to take notes) which had been 'tamperred' with by some other software but would rebuild - - -this tamperred by testdisk4 previously mentioned.

One more 'funny' - - -was always led to believe that when partitioning, the primary partition on each disk was labelled before any extended partition. I have just partitioned my new disk - -its is now c and d on primery/master and e on primery/slave - - - thought it should have been c and e on master, d on slave - - - but no problems, just must have got mixed up somewhere.

Well, only 2 days to go til the Aldi beastie being on sale - - -am I gonna go for it ??? Watch this space.

Guest nellie2

The primary partition that contains your O/S will always be C: (unless you happen to be Ellas!! ^_^ but after that the system will pick you your drives in the order that it sees them when they are first put on.

So it will check your primary master first... two partitions c and d and then it will check your primary slave e then your CD rom or whatever f and so on!!

Go for the Aldi beastie.......... give yourself an early Xmas pressie!!!

thanks mate - - -

by the way, didn't get that pc from Aldi - -or that one from toys-r us - - - or even that one on a 'one day only' offer from PCW yesterday - -though its still on offer today. Though must confess if I had a brand new 'dogs bollox' kind of PC I would be less likely to 'tinker' - - - tinker, who said that ??? :D